Sunday, July 12, 2020

In The Kitchen with Grandma

Grandma loved cooking. When I asked family members what something was, they remembered her cooking the majority said, "Zucchini Bread". 

I have not ever tried my hand at Zucchini Bread, but if it is anything like Banana Bread - I am sure it is delicious and quite easy to make. I can smell it baking in the oven now. Can you? 

When summer hits, I enjoy frequenting the local Farmer's Market for fresh produce. In my bag of goodies, you can find Zucchini, yellow squash, fresh tomatoes alongside the Honey-dew melons, and from time to time watermelons. 

I remember mom and dad having a huge garden in the back of our house. We called it the back 40. Dad, grandma's son grew several different types of squash, zucchini, corn on the cob, cucumbers, okra, green beans, black-eyed peas, carrots, potatoes, cantaloupe, watermelons and, had a nice bounty of sunflowers. I am sure he gave his mother, my grandma many Zucchini's among other fresh produce throughout the summer months. 

In fact, I remember family (his sisters) coming to harvest their share of the bounty that he grew year after year. 

I enjoyed mom canning the fresh vegetables and freezing them so we would have them throughout the winter months. I will never forget the shelves in the garage lined up with mason jars filled to the brim with yellow squash, green beans, and then some. Mom even made her own pickles out of the cucumber's dad grew. 

I wonder if Grandma would bake a fresh of piping hot Zucchini Bread today if she was still living?  

Grandma Kercher

ZUCCHINI BREAD

3 eggs beaten
1 c. oil
2 c. sugar
2 c. grated zucchini
2 T. vanilla
3 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
3 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1/4 c. chopped pecans

Add oil, sugar, zucchini, and vanilla to beaten eggs. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together. Add sifted dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir in pecans. Pour into two greased loaf pans. Bake at 325* for 1 hour. 

Have you ever had Zucchini Bread? If so, do you bake it yourself? 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

Facebook: H2hsc2020
Twitter: H2hsc2020
Instagram: Heart to Heart Soul Creations
Pinterest: Heart to Heart Soul Creations (H2hsc2020)


#Inthekitchen, #memoriesofgrandma, #baking, #freshvegetables, #memories, #inthegarden, #ZucchiniBread, #recipes

4 comments:

  1. This is close to my grandmother's recipe. I loved baking with my grandma!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome...what was different about the recipe? Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I remember my grandmother making it also but never ate it! Recently Lia and I made a loaf and it was delicious! We made another batch of lemon zucchini bread with yogurt and my oh my was that delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha...yes, I saw your Zucchini post with Ms. Lia. That was exciting for me as I wrote this one because your post immediately came to mind when I started seeing cousins saying, 'Zucchini Bread' is what they remembered grandma baking. LOL

      Delete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...