Sunday, February 7, 2021

In the Kitchen with My Daughter - day 7 of the UBC Challenge

Today is Superbowl Sunday 2021. In days past, it was an opportunity for friends and families to have a get together for food, drink, and socialization. 

This year, things are on the low down because of COVID restrictions and protests across our land with people taking a knee when the National Anthem is sung. In fact, many followers of professional sports have now turned off their televisions, quit supporting the athletes, and could care less if the tv is on or not at the same time, many people still enjoy the events, place their bets, have family, and friend get-togethers, and partake in good food and drink. 

Today's post isn't about my views one way or the other where sports and people are concerned. I am married to a person who breathes sports, all of them. In fact, it sounds like he is watching basketball now as I write my post! He has his own opinions and we just leave it at that.  Since COVID hit, we don't watch many sports like we did in the past. Some just don't interest us anymore and that's okay with me (giggling out loud). 

Nonetheless, we are going to have my youngest daughter and her small family (husband and their soon-to-be one-year-old) over to watch the BIG game. It's not a rare event that they come over as they frequent our house regularly. We partake in meals with one another and play family games. Today will be no different. 

The only difference is, we aren't doing the traditional Superbowl party type foods. For Christmas, we had an Italian themed meal. I made two Lasagnas from scratch.



One we ate the day of, and the other I put in the freezer. Today, we are going to break that extra one out and pop it in the oven for the big game. We will add a Caesar Salad, Calamari, Jalapeno Poppers, French Bread, and Bagna to our spread. 

How many of you have ever eaten Bagna? I hadn't until I married my current husband in 2000. Later this month, we will be celebrating 21 years. 

When he would tell me about Bagna, he would say, "people will know we have eaten Bagna because it will come out of your pores for days". I asked why and his reply was, "the amount of garlic and anchovies used". I don't have a problem with the garlic at all. I love garlic. I cook with it regularly. The anchovies I had to get used to and even now - - still takes me back a bit...but they dissolve and it's ok. 

When we take a trip up to Illinois where my husband is from, there is always a family party in his honor. They celebrate his return even if it's for a few days. It's a given there will always be a crockpot or two of Bagna. Alongside of the crockpots are loaves of bread, French bread, and assorted vegetables. That's what people use when they are eating Bagna. 

It isn't a thick consistency. It is more of a liquid and I normally just dip my bread in it. I suppose if you wanted to make it thicker, you could. But I mostly just follow the recipe without deviation. 

My daughter and her family were over a few days earlier this last week. I made a batch of Bagna. (it freezes well too, so any that's left can always be kept in the freezer for a few months). As I was working on gathering the items needed to begin the long-drawn-out process of cooking the Bagna, my daughter walked into the kitchen. 



This dip needs to be cooked slow and steady for a few hours. The longer it is cooked, the better it is...stir, stir, stir. Have the heat turned down and stir, stir, stir. Low and slow...

I was in the process of peeling heads of garlic...you can see them in the photo. I have used jarred garlic before, but it isn't the same. I prefer the real thing! 

I grabbed my cast iron skillet and began melting the butter on low heat. 

 

Once the garlic and the butter were completely dissolved together, it begins to stick to the sides and the bottom. (Be sure to scrape the bottom and the sides throughout the process). Sir, stir, stir...low and slow. One must have the patience to make Bagna. 



At this time, my daughter stepped up and said, "I'll take over mom". I stressed to her not to slosh the liquid and stir it slow and steady.... constantly stir it. Scrape the sides and cook it slowly. Don't slosh!!! 

The garlic is dissolved, now we will add the anchovies. (sometimes, I will substitute them with sardines). My daughter isn't keen on either one...so I don't use as many as I normally would. Stir them into the butter and garlic mixture until they also dissolve. Slow and steady, continually scraping the sides, the bottom, and the sides again. Slow and steady...patience. 



Once the anchovies were dissolved, we added Half and Half and the heavy cream. Stirring, stirring, stirring, scrape, scrape, scrape.  Don't slosh!!! 




We, or should I say, SHE stirred the Bagna while cooking it for about 2 hours or so. She would make these comments that she didn't see the need to cook this that long and why does it need to be on low? I stressed to her again, the longer it cooks, the better it is...low and slow. 

She continued to stir...and she stirred...and she stirred. It's finally finished, we cut up a loaf of French bread and dove in. YUM, YUM, YUM!!! (the rest went into the freezer for Superbowl Sunday). I guess I better go take it out of the freezer. I'll throw it in the crockpot this afternoon. 

 

BAGNA RECIPE 

3 sticks of butter 

1 pound of chopped garlic 

(about 6 heads - use every clove) 

3 cans of Anchovies

 (can substitute Sardines) 

1 pt. Whipping Cream 

1 pt. Half and Half 

In a cast-iron skillet, melt the butter one stick at a time on medium to low until all three sticks are melted.  

Add the chopped garlic. Stir constantly, scraping the bottom and the sides until all the garlic has dissolved into the butter. (The garlic will begin to stick). At this time, you can add more butter if needed.  

Add the Anchovies/Sardines, stirring until they dissolve. Still on low-medium heat...scraping the sides and the bottom.  

Next, stir in the Half and Half and the Whipping Cream. Stirring constantly and slowly. Scraping, the sides and the bottom. A crust will begin to make. When this happens, you know your Bagna is done.  

Serve Bagna with toasted French bread, loaves of white bread, celery, cabbage, broccoli, and other vegetables you like.  

If you are having a party such as Superbowl or anything else, you can make this on top of the stove, then transfer it to a crockpot to keep it warm. Turn it on the low or warm setting, stirring it from time to time.  

Eat and enjoy...what's left can be thrown in a bowl and frozen until a later time. 


Heart to Heart Soul Creations
h2hsc2020

Facebook: H2hsc2020 
Twitter: H2hsc2020 
Instagram: Heart to Heart Soul Creations 
Pinterest: Heart to Heart Soul Creations (H2hsc2020)




#Ultimateblogchallenge, #blogboost, #inthekitchen, #Superbowl2021, #dips, #crockpotcooking, #familyandfriends, #gatherings, #parties, #Bagna, #patience, #recipes,  #cooking, #appetizers 










10 comments:

  1. I think I would just have Lasagna and bread and let you all have everything else. In the meantime enjoy the Game and your family. Have a blessed Sunday. We don't watch Sports here. C has B with the Gunshot here this morning. The other B is Fishing its his Birthday today. He will be back in a bit and we will resume watching Saved By the Bell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was cooking most of the game...I didn't have any Lasagna either. LOL - - calamari and salad.

      Enjoy the boys...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. wait until you read the next one! LOL - - have you tried the recipe yet?

      Delete
  3. I have never heard of Bagna - but from the recipe and photos it seems quite yummy! Enjoy the heck out of your Super Bowl celebrations. I didn't even know the Super Bowl was this weekend. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie...thanks for reading and dropping me a comment. It is very good. didn't really pay much attention to the game as I was in the kitchen cooking for most of it.

      My team didn't win so I was a bit bummed out about that.

      Take care,

      Delete
  4. Oh, I enjoyed this post. It makes me wonder what this Bagna tastes like. That combination of garlic, anchovies and dairy sound like a strange combo but it must be good with all that butter! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You most definitely need to try it out...I don't use as much butter as the original recipe calls for. It has 6 sticks...nope, that's too much for me. I start with two, and add 1 more if needed. Most times, I don't need it though.

      Delete
  5. Looks like you will have a delicious Super Bowl party! Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was cooking the entire game...didn't watch much of it. LOL the wrong team won. LOL - - just kidding...

      Delete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...