Monday, February 8, 2021

Italian Roots - trip to New York City, 1998 / day 8 UBC Challenge

My Ethnic background includes Italy. 32% Southern and 17% Northern. My paternal grandparents were from Mistretta, Messina, Italy. Two years ago, I was told by a nephew on my paternal lines, my grandmother was from Sicily. Looking at an Italian map, Messina is in the further most corner of Sicily near the region of Calabria. With that said, both of my grandparents were indeed from Sicily. 

They traveled to the United States of America on a vessel named, Liguria. Both of them and their son traveled from Naples, Italy. They arrived in America by way of Ellis Island, NYC. 

I visited Ellis Island once. We went on a family vacation to New York City in April of 1996. I remember standing there inside of the commons area listening to the stories of the Immigrants who had traveled to America. Many with nothing but the clothes on their backs. With tears running down my face, I was deeply moved by the stories I heard. I felt a connection. My people came to America and their stories were like the ones I was standing there listening to. My family thought something was wrong with me but there wasn't. I was deeply moved listening to the journeys of so many wanting to live the dream of HOPE in America, risking it all just to have an opportunity of a new beginning. 

My grandfather was born in 1880 and my grandmother was born in 1886.  He received his Naturalization Papers from the United States on March 26, 1909, in the state of Connecticut. 

To their union were ten children. The oldest son was born in Mistretta, Italy. The man who was my birth father was their third child. 

I grew up knowing I was 50% Italian and always felt there was a void in my life because I didn't know my paternal lines. This part of my life was rarely discussed by anyone in my family. Today, much of the same still exists...although I do have a dialogue with many individuals from my paternal side who I have met via DNA matches thanks to Ancestry DNA. I have become more vocal today than ever before with regards to my Italian roots. 

My mother’s second husband adopted me after they were married. He gave me his name on paper and raised me as his own. I was two years old. 

Something that has been on my bucket list as far back as I can remember is to travel to the beautiful land of Italy. 

The closest I have come to my Italian roots were when we visited NYC. We visited Little Italy. (NOT that there is any comparison to the country of Italy). There is no comparison in my book. 

There in Little Italy was a billboard with two Italian ladies in a kitchen setting. My son snapped a picture of me with my hands up as if I was saying "delizioso". 

That translates into DELICIOUS in English. I don't speak the Italian language, although I wish I did...

I have not had the opportunity of traveling to Italy yet, but both of my daughters have. In fact, months apart from one another. They visited different regions in the country at two different times. My oldest daughter visited Italy right before the outbreak of the COVID Pandemic. Due to our relationship being estranged, silently I was genuinely concerned for her health after they returned back to the States.  

It has been eight long years of heartache, tears, and many questions with no answers since 2013. Not my choice, but hers.  For now, I have learned how to pick up my head and move forward, not holding onto the pain and the void in my heart but holding onto HOPE that one day there will be amends between us both before it's too late. 

I was able to see the beauty of Florence, Rome, and Venice through the eyes of my youngest daughter and her husband when they took their trip in September 2019. I suppose, my youngest grandson has also been there too since they were expecting their first child during this trip. (I joke and call him the world traveler already. Little does he know...he has already traveled so many places during his year in the making). :-) Get the kiddo a Passport little momma...

Below are a few photos from their trip...









My youngest daughter and her husband.
She was expecting a baby in this photo. 

My heart is pleased they had the opportunity of visiting this beautiful country. Rich with history, stories, and family legacies. Also known for delicious food, too!

Recently, I received a recipe called, Bagna. The true name of it is, Bagna Cauda. It's a good thing I didn't know how to cook this before now because it is highly addictive. In a good way, that is! Who knew anchovies were good in a hot-dip? Yes, I said, anchovies...I know, you are probably thinking yuck - but let me tell you. They dissolve in the sauce and unless a person knew they were in there, they would never know. 

Bagna is cooked with anchovies which are high in Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids. These can help lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease. 

Unbeknownst to me, anchovies are also a good source of essential vitamins and minerals, such as Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Calcium and Selenium. Guess what, when you eat Bagna Cauda, you are eating something healthy. Not only with the anchovies that have dissolved through the cooking process, but you are also getting the benefits that come with garlic, too.  Some of these benefits include, but not limited to, better blood pressure (hey, I need to eat garlic like candy, then!) just kidding!!! Other benefits garlic has to offer is stronger bones, better memory, and reduced risk of Heart Disease. You can read more about the benefits of garlic at Life in the Golden Years

 I shared a post recently with regards to my daughter stepping in to assist with the making of Bagna for the Superbowl game. If you want to check it out, look for my post called, In the Kitchen with my Daughter - day 7 of the UBC Challenge. 

After reading my post, a fellow blogger asked if I knew the origin of the recipe. I did not, but I assumed it must have come from Italy. I replied, "I'd research and let her know"...guess what, you are now reading that research! What do you think so far? Interested in continuing? Want to know more about my heritage? Want to know more about my personal life's journey? Have you been to Italy? Better yet, have you tried the recipe yet? If not, what are you waiting for? 

By now, you are probably wondering what Bagna Cauda is. I've given you two of the ingredients already...but there is more. Have you googled it yet? I'll save you the time, it is a hot-dip. The definition of Bagna cauda means "hot dip", or "hot gravy". It is a hot dish made from garlic and anchovies, originating in Piedmont, Italy during the 16th century. 

That confirms my assumption that it originated in Italy. I wanted to say this in my reply but wanted to research the truth before I answered because these days, everything is fact checked. 

Not knowing where Piedmont, Italy was exactly, I researched it further. I learned that Piedmont is a region in extreme northwestern Italy in the Alpine foothills. 

Northwestern Italy...now my mind was wondering where this was in conjunction with Sicily where my people were from. I had no idea...so I researched even further. After looking and studying a map of Italy, I learned that the two areas were 983.5 miles away from each other. My daughter was in Northern Italy when she visited Florence, Rome, and Venice. Florence is about 4 1/2 hours from Piedmont. She was further away from Sicily. 

I asked my daughter if they had eaten Bagna cauda while they were there and she said, 'no'. However, they did eat some amazing looking food. Look. 









After posting these pictures, especially the last one, I am hungry now. I enjoy eating different types of cheeses with fruits, nuts, and assorted meats. But no Bagna Cauda...on their part. By the way, it's late and I didn't get anything to eat, either. 

During my research, I learned that the hot-dip or hot gravy was originated to make limited winter vegetables more enticing. In my post I wrote previously, I had mentioned people eat it with cabbage, broccoli, and bread. I knew this firsthand because my husband's family in Illinois eat it religiously when they have family gatherings and or parties when we go up there to visit from Texas. (no, they aren't Italian, but there are many early settlers of Italian Descent in the area even still today).

I also learned that Bagna cauda was also a popular mid-morning meal for those individuals working in the vineyard who needed a snack on a damp, chilly morning. I thought to myself, a mid-morning meal consisting of anchovies and garlic? I'm sure people around me wouldn't appreciate the smell of garlic and anchovies sweating out of my pores for days on end after eating Bagna cauda. At least, this is the story my husband has told me since the day we got married in 2000. The funny thing is though, it took me until 2019 to ever try it. Now I'm hooked...! No, I don't sweat anchovies and garlic as I don't cook mine with the amounts the recipe calls for. I suppose one day I should - maybe I will wait until Texas hits the triple-digit temperature days. Then maybe, my pores will sweat the smell of this pungent hot dip. 

The difference between Bagna cauda and the one I use is olive oil. I don't use that in my recipe. I also use anchovies in water and occasionally, I will substitute the anchovies with sardines. Also, in water. 

In the local grocery stores where I shop; anchovies are not easily found - so sardines are the go-to. I have made Bagna both ways. I can't tell the difference except when I open the individual cans. Both are strong in smell, I won't deny that. 

According to explore Food and Wine, sardines are known to have a white flesh and taste fishier, while anchovies on the other hand are darker, reddish grey flesh because of the curing process.    

After researching the background of Bagna Cauda, I wondered if my grandparents and paternal family ate this hot-dip or hot gravy. I suppose I'll never know...but for now, I eat it and have taught my daughter how to make this delicious dish. Hopefully, she will pass it down to her children and share the story of her mom and her Italian roots. 

When we visited my husband's family in October of 2020, we had Bagna cauda several times. I told my sister-in-law, that it was like an Alfredo Sauce and suggested that she could make it according to the recipe she had and replace the anchovies with parmesan cheese and possibly even cream cheese. In fact, even as I write this...the more I think about it, I wouldn't even replace the anchovies. I'd just leave them in there and add the parmesan cheese and maybe even the cream cheese. This would make it thicker for sure. I think next time I make Bagna, I'm going to play around with the recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out. 

I for one don't like eating Bagna with veggies, but many people do. You can eat it with raw or cooked vegetables such as radishes, cabbage, and cauliflower florets. I prefer eating it with bread. Right out of the bag or even toasted in the oven. Both will work. Why don't you try the recipe and let me know what your preference is, with vegetables or with bread, maybe both? I'll share my recipe with you again at the end of my post. 

During my research, I also learned that Bagna Cauda is good with steak. I am going to try that one of these days. In our freezer is a package of scallops. I may have to break out the Bagna from the freezer, grab the scallops and enjoy a delicious romantic meal very soon. I don't think my husband likes scallops, though. I suppose I could do shrimp instead...

I almost forgot to tell you that in the refrigerator, Bagna will last four days if it is in an airtight container. In the freezer, it will last up to four months, but there will be some separation. When you remove it, let it thaw at room temperature, then heat it up on low heat and stir it constantly. It will eventually come back to its normal consistency.

My time is coming to an end for now...I need to lay my head down and close my eyes. I hope you will try the recipe and let me know what you think. 

Until then...enjoy! 

BAGNA RECIPE 

3 sticks of butter 

1 pound of chopped garlic 

(about 6 heads - use every clove) 

3 cans of Anchovies

 (can substitute Sardines) 

1 pt. Whipping Cream 

1 pt. Half and Half 

In a cast-iron skillet, melt the butter one stick at a time on medium to low until all three sticks are melted.  

Add the chopped garlic. Stir constantly, scraping the bottom and the sides until all the garlic has dissolved into the butter. (The garlic will begin to stick). At this time, you can add more butter if needed.  

Add the Anchovies/Sardines, stirring until they dissolve. Still on low-medium heat...scraping the sides and the bottom.  

Next, stir in the Half and Half and the Whipping Cream. Stirring constantly and slowly. Scraping, the sides and the bottom. A crust will begin to make. When this happens, you know your Bagna is done.  

Serve Bagna with toasted French bread, loaves of white bread, celery, cabbage, broccoli, and other vegetables you like.  


It is delicious!!! 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
h2hsc2020


Facebook: H2hsc2020 
Twitter: H2hsc2020 
Instagram: Heart to Heart Soul Creations 
Pinterest: Heart to Heart Soul Creations (H2hsc2020)


#Ultimateblogchallenge, #blogboost, #inthekitchen, #memories, #recipes, #Italy, #Ancestry, #Myheritage, #storytelling, #thinkingoutloud, #life, #NYC, #familyvacation, #adventures, #EllisIsland, #ancestryDNA, #appetizers, #dips, #hotdips




4 comments:

  1. Italy is certainly on our bucket list.. but first we need to be able to visit more than 150 miles away without having to quarantine ourselves soon..
    loved the pics of the places and food from your daughters' visits..

    ReplyDelete
  2. hello Lady in Read!! How are you? it's been awhile...

    I agree. I have been pondering vacation 2021 and it's like, where are we going to go that is safe from riots, safe from COVID outbreaks and the pandemic. (my house)....then I wonder about that at times with my hubs and his job.

    Yes, they enjoyed their trip. I'm sure my oldest daughter did as well...I'll never know.

    Hopefully one day, we both can visit the beautiful country.

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...