Thursday, October 8, 2020

Should I Stay or Should I Go

 Day 8  in the Ultimate Blog Challenge


My husband and I have been planning our vacation since the end of January. We were scheduled to travel to Indiana to meet cousins on my mom's paternal lines. Then COVID happened!

Our plans were put on hold because of my health and the pandemic. We decided to take the 'wait and see' approach before moving forward with our travel plans.  

Watching the daily chaos throughout our land, we decided 'not' to take a vacation after all and stay closer to the house. That was until my husband received a phone call from his sister saying they were going to be holding a Memorial in the area for the Veteran's and their dad's name was going to be honored. So, plans began again...

My dilemma...should I stay or should I go. Having already spent two and a half weeks in the hospital a few months back, having COVID and plenty of other health issues - this has been a tough decision and at the same time, a pretty straightforward one with all things considered. I mean after all, anytime our weather changes I am sick and going to Illinois, the weather is much different than what Texas is having these days...

I have said I was not going...then a few days later, say I am. My family has begun laughing at me because I cannot make up my mind. No, we are not going to Indiana after all - that part of the vacation changed. We are going to Illinois where my husband's family lives. 

Earlier in the week, I had decided yet again - not to go as the risk was too great. For both me and for my family (grandson particularly) since I spend a great deal of time with him. Then I started thinking...if I do not go on this trip - no telling when I will be able to get away again. So yet again, I told my husband and my daughter I was going! My daughter is betting that I will change my mind again, but so far - my bags are packed, and I just have a few last-minute details to pull together on Friday. 

I have my arsenal of Lysol, a box of gloves, plenty of masks, hand sanitizers (in my purse, and some in the car). I am also taking disinfectant wipes as well. I have all my medications packed, my nebulizer, blood pressure machine, my CPAP, and the heating pad too! I am ready to get this show on the road...I mean the car. If anyone knows me, they know I LOVE road trips...COVID or not!!!! Have a map will travel has always been my philosophy. Now it is the GPS... (laughing out loud). 

We will be meeting a cousin of my husbands who lives in Indiana. We are going to meet halfway somewhere. I am hoping too, that I will get to meet a cousin of mine from my 4th great grandfather's line. We met by way of DNA matches. We both are pumped at the possibility of meeting face to face. I am saddened that I will not be able to meet the cousin that this entire trip was planned around, but at another time in our future, we will make it happen. Hey, Deb....maybe we can plan that Yellowstone trip!? 

I have a few cemeteries on my mind that I want to visit. One is for my husband's side of the family. I want to see if I can find the headstones of people who are in his family tree without a Find A Grave record. A few months ago, one of his 1st cousins was able to track down their great-great grandfather's headstone for me, but it was broken in several pieces. I know he is not going to be too keen on going on these hunts of mine, but he has mentioned in recent conversations of us going. For that I am grateful...

On the first part of our trip, we are going to stop in Oklahoma to visit a 1st cousin on my adopted dad's side. I have not seen this cousin in years. I think the last time I saw her was at our grandmother's funeral. We both are excited! 

This vacation is going to be different than in years past. I do not have a lot of things planned for us as I do normally. We are just going to chill with his family and play each day as it comes. I am sure I will get out and about by myself occasionally. I have many people to meet along the way and conversations to have. 

The dilemma of 'should I stay or should I go' has been decided. I am going! I have cemeteries to find, ancestors to track down and memories to make...

The music will be cranked in the car and I will be in my element...on the road again! When I am out in public, I will have my masks and gloves on - you can be sure of that! 

How many of you have put off taking trips since COVID and the rest of the chaos in our world? Or have you taken the stance, you are going to live life - regardless? Let me hear from you...

Until we meet again, 



Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

Facebook: H2hsc2020

Twitter: H2hsc2020

Instagram: Heart to Heart Soul Creations

Pinterest: Heart to Heart Soul Creations (H2hsc2020)




#blogboost, #vacation, #ontheroad, #traveling, #thinkingoutloud, #life, #family, #memories, #genealogy, #FindAGrave

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad you came home to the best decision for you! I hope your trip is a smooth and satisfying one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kebba...!

    Thank you for reading and dropping a comment. Yes, I am hopeful we have a nice and peaceful trip!
    I'm sure there will be much to write about on our journey...

    Until then,
    g'night

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good morning, enjoy your trip and I am so glad you was able to get away for a bit.

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...