Saturday, February 22, 2020

Country Living Has Its Charm

A few months ago, I moved to a new area. One that I had not lived in before - but was familiar with the area.

At one time, there was nothing but ranch homes and countryside. It was country living at its best. Today, driving down the winding roads, one might see goats prancing around the yard, or horses in grazing in the fields. You might even see from time to time rabbits running alongside the road.

About a month ago, instead of turning towards our house - we decided to drive straight to see the area. There was a private residential neighborhood that is not accessible to the public unless you are on their lists of who’s who. In this area, there are well known professional athletes living here from the Dallas Cowboys, the Dallas Stars, The Dallas Mavericks and other professional athletes from other parts of the world. Not to mention coaches and doctors and such...we continued to drive down and around the winding road.

We passed a house on the corner and there were somewhere between 15 - 20 wild turkey and several peacocks standing in the yard of a house. There was no gate or anything to hold these creatures in, so I know they were wild...my husband thought they were someone's pets. I doubt it...after all, we were in the country!  The male peacocks began to spread their tail feathers out to display their colors and eyespots for us. I'm sure it wasn't because we were watching them, but because they were trying to court the female peacocks nearby. We sat there on the side of the road for seven to ten minutes watching these beautiful creatures with their beautiful deep blues and emerald greens on display.

When we drove off, I spotted an old rock chimney standing in a field. We pulled off on the side of the road as there was a historical marker standing near the fence. It said that in the early 1900s, the landowner bought 36 acres of land for $200. He planted cotton, peanuts and something else along the lines of vegetation (I can't remember). He also had livestock according to the marker. I sat there in amazement looking across the rolling hills out past the beautiful trees that made up the landscape. The area was beautiful...I tried to imagine what life was like when the homestead stood near that chimney. The landowner sold the land a few years back after his wife became ill and passed away. This was Westlake's first historical marker, dedicated May 12, 2012.

Heading back in the direction of our house, and just across the street from this old chimney and historical marker - there was a sign showing 2 acres of land for sale and the asking price is $800,000.

I couldn't imagine that in the early 1900s that landowner bought 36 acres of land for $200.00 which probably was months and possibly even years of hard work and saving to the 2 acres of land that now has a price tag of $800,000. WOW - - we continued to drive...

When I moved into the house I live in now, there was a house being erected down and around the corner. It wasn't a small house or even a medium-sized house. This house was larger than an average house and more of a house than I could ever imagine living in... although, I'd love to! If I was still working, that might have been a possibility, but living on social security - I have to settle for the things I have today - even after putting in years and years of hard work since the time I was 13 years old.

 The house is finished now, and the question remains 'who' is going to be living in this beautiful mansion. I haven't seen any life on the premises yet - however, on Superbowl weekend - there was a Kansas Chief flag flying out on the gate.

Our house doesn't look like this, but we do have acreage and it's considered country living, I'm not complaining!

I suppose the country living charm among the multi-million-dollar houses is something to be desired.

The rest of the DFW area is so concrete - now I understand!

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful house but to imposing for me. I liked your house much more. Especially your back yard. One day I would like to have a house like yours with 4 bedrooms, a Wrap Around Porch with Garage for David and a Tree for a ClubHouse for C.

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...