Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Walking with the Ancestors


2/4/2020


Last night, I had the opportunity of traveling to Waxahachie south of Dallas, TX. I went to hear Patti Huff Smith speak on "Between the Lines: What Your Ancestors Didn't Tell You!" It's all about DNA and how to use your results!

When I arrived, it was still a bit early, so I stopped by a convenience store to pick up something to drink. I looked across the street as I walked to the car and low and behold, my eyes captured this beauty. (Sorry I couldn't get a better photo - there was construction and it was raining!)

built-in 1902

I walked back into the store and asked the lady, "that number up on the building - is that the year it was erected?" Her reply, "yes"!! 

I enjoy seeing the historical monuments and buildings while I'm 'walking with the ancestors'. The stories we can learn from their memories are priceless. 

I proceeded to drive back towards the Women's Building in Waxahachie -it's a part of the Ellis County Genealogical Society. 
The Women's Building of Ellis County Genealogical Society

When I arrived, it was still early so I sat in my car catching up on emails. A few minutes later, a gentleman walked up to my car and we began to talk. I learned in a very few short sentences that he too, was there to attend the meeting. We continued to visit when he asked me if I ever had visited a website - "Find A Grave". I blurted out - daily!!! and we both laughed. I learned he was a volunteer for Find a Grave. I had to ask a few questions that I've had in the past and never knew who to pose them too. He began to share about these different cemeteries and wow - - the stories and travels he has done to assist others like me who are 'walking with the ancestors'. It's not always easy searching for a headstone or a Cemetery when they are not local - that's how the Volunteers of this Organization assists us. I could set and listen to those stories all day and all night. At the end of the meeting, I asked for his contact information. I will be staying in touch with him and his wife. 

The time came and people were showing up. Patti and her mother, Ms. Jackie had arrived, and I wanted to go say hello to them. We all walked into the Women's Building and it was nice and warm. 

I found my seat and began visiting with others who had also come out to hear Patti speak on DNA. 

It's funny though when talking to others who may be doing their genealogy research, they'll ask - how are you related and the replies sound like this: I'm a 4th cousin, 3 x's removed!!! The reaction - oh we aren't cousins...that's too far away. Guess what, we are...!!! Even it's a spec of DNA centimorgans - we are related! DNA doesn't lie - but it has been misunderstood for many generations due to people not educating themselves on DNA works. That's what Patti was going to share tonight in Waxahachie, TX - "Between the Lines: What Your Ancestors Didn't Tell You!" It's all about DNA and how to use your results!

It's a very interesting topic and one that has opened many doors to individuals who are searching for answers about their families. However, like anything that's good - - there are always those 'not too good stories' - the ones that no one wants to talk about, and the ones that get doors slammed in our faces or telephone calls disconnected when a question is asked like, 'by chance are you so and so and did you give a baby up for adoption?' I've had the opportunity to know many individuals who have this type of scenario and I also know first-hand what it's like 'not' knowing a mother or a father. I didn't know my birth father and his family and that's what started my genealogy search almost 25 years ago. DNA - a very interesting topic with amazing results - whether they are good or bad. At least they give us the answers that are sought. 

It was time to begin the presentation. There were probably close to 30 people in attendance. Patti began to share..."Between the Lines"...our ancestors past has been written, but do you know that we are writing our stories now? That's the line - - we are on this side of it and the stories haven't been written yet! Wow - - it was completely silent in the room. Everyone was listening with expectations of learning how DNA works. 
Patti Huff Smith, the Enthusiastic Genealogist

Patti spoke about the  DNA genealogy glossary and explained what Autosomal DNA testing was (genetic material inherited equally from mother and father), Chromosomes (cm's) - (a threadlike strand of DNA that carries genes and transmits hereditary information), the Y-DNA (chromosome genetic material passed down from father to son), and SNP's from 23andMe (Measure of Genetic Similarity DNA passed from parent to child) as well as a few others like mtDNA (Mitochondrial DNA).  While she was talking on these different terms, she would share facts that could substantiate and prove how DNA worked. 

Jacqueline Lou Crook Huff
Patti shared her journeys of learning who her 4th great grandmother was through clues from a handwritten letter along with the actual envelope. Patti was able to uncover enough information to research this family member and prove that she was indeed her 4th great grandmother. This all started with DNA testing. Patti had her mother test along with a few other family members. She began to pick the information apart during her journey...with the DNA results from her mother, Jacqueline Lou Crook. 

With all this information and the clues from the letter - today, Patti has been able to confirm 8 generations to present day and it all started with her 4th great grandmother. 

To date, Patti manages over 52 DNA kits and equips others how they too, can uncover the truths "Between the Lines: What Your Ancestors Didn't Tell You!"

The presentation was a success! I've only shared a small glimpse of the information that was presented by this wonderful lady who happens to be my cousin! Patti and I met May 2019 by way of DNA. I had an extensive family tree built on Ancestry and had done my DNA testing that had been uploaded into GEDmatch.com  - Patti saw my information and then found me on Facebook. Through DNA, we learned we shared a 5th Great Grandfather, Samuel Huff, 1781-1868. What’s even more exciting, we live near one another and are able to ‘walk with the ancestors’ together!

If you have ever thought about starting a Family Tree and doing your DNA testing- today is the day!!! What are you waiting for? 

Well, I'm off to write another blog about how my 1st day went working with a young man who homeschools. Guess what, he too is starting his journey of genealogy! 

Smiles <3

~~Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020



2 comments:

  1. This is so interesting! Not only the DNA and ancestry, but the city! It is where my son-in-law is from and now I have seen pictures from there, where my future granchildren's ancestry currently lives. :-)

    PS - I am a part of the Ultimate Blog Challenge Group, too. Glad to find your post there today.

    http://creativelifemidwife.com/2020/02/twomiracleday/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nancy! Thank you for taking the time and thoughts on your blog about the program last night! I appreciate your input as I'm always looking for ways to effectively communicate. You are the BEST and I'm enjoying my newfound cousin - you! Love, Patti

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...