Tuesday, January 5, 2021

Thinking Out Loud - My TOP 5 list

This last Monday, while I was looking for some specific journaling cards to include with the Junk Journal I was finishing up for the purchaser, I put my hands on this one. I immediately thought to myself this little sheet of paper would make a great blog post. I began thinking about my TOP 5 in each of the three categories: Movies, TV Shows, and Bands.


I placed this little card in front of my pen holder and glanced at it throughout the day while continuing to think about all the movies, tv shows, and bands I have watched or listened to throughout my life. I am sure I have watched and listened to 1000's... how on earth am I going to choose just 5?  Do I have you thinking about the five you would choose in each category? If so, what would they be? And then, why did you choose the 5 you chose? Did a line in the movie resonate with you or could you relate to a music lyric? What is it that makes us like this or that? CHOICES...

There are so many to choose from in each category...how does one decide WHAT is the TOP 5? I suppose we could agree to disagree on them all if we listened to the Grammy Awards or even the Emmy Awards. There have been times I just shake my head at the titles that win these awards. Many of them called out I have never even heard of, not to mention even watched or listened to. So again, how do they KNOW who the awards will go to? I wonder how these awards are really calculated. Is it by People's Choice? I do not recall voting on any of the TOP movies, songs, or TV shows. Do you? 

One theory I have is maybe they go by how many people frequented the Box Office...well, that is not going to help now with the COVID Stay at Home orders in place for so many states. What about Redbox movies? Nope, most of the boxes in my area have been put out of commission. Then there are the other streaming networks like Netflix, Hulu, Vudu, Amazon Prime, just to name a few. I know in our family, we watch movies and other television shows on a few of these channels I mentioned, and a few others not mentioned, such as Disney Plus. 

My TOP 5 list...let me ponder this a little bit more. In other words, let me 'think out loud'. If I were to pose this question to my husband, my daughter, her husband, my sister, and her husband - I am quite sure there would be many different responses. Now if I were to do a collaborative poll as a group of at least two individuals, we might agree on 2 - 3 titles, but I am not confident enough that my TOP 5 choice would match their TOP 5 choices. How many of you can agree with this theory? Would you match all your family's choices? How about your friend's choices? So again, HOW are these awards given out...I know, I know - - the polls have all the 'correct' answers. We have learned that theory does not work during this last election. No, I am not going to get on a political soapbox, but human beings can make things appear or disappear as though they were or were not and vice versa. I will leave that right there...getting back to the topic at hand. It is all about the choices...my choice, your choice, our choice. We all agree to disagree on many, many different topics every single day. 

My TOP 5 choices in these three categories: MOVIES, TV SHOWS, and BANDS. This is tuff...I am going to break this down by my age. No, I am not going to tell you how old I am, but when you see my TOP 5, I am quite confident you could probably figure it out...but then again, maybe not. 

In my teenage years, the TOP 5 looked different than the ones I would choose in my 20's, 30's and so forth, and so on. How about you? Do they differ much?  

In my teens, my Top 5 MOVIES were: 

1. The Godfather, Part II

2. Kramer vs. Kramer

3. Rocky

4. Mommie Dearest

5. Close Encounters of the Third Kind

The choices for the Top 5 TV Shows in my teens is easy. I can list them very quickly! 

1. Brady Bunch

2. Partridge Family

3. The Odd Couple

4. Family Affair

5. General Hospital - oh yea, the Luke and Laura saga...did it ever come to an end? just kidding...I do not want to know. But seriously, how many of you can admit that you watched this Soap Opera without fail day in and day out? I got a kick the other day during a phone call I was on as the person on the other end say they were watching, General Hospital. I busted out laughing and said, 'are you kidding me'? She knew exactly why I was asking... (chuckling out loud). Moving right along...I could stay here on Soap Operas for a while, but I will not bore you with my dialog. LOL

Last, but not least - the Top 5 Bands I chose were: 

1. Seals and Crofts

2. Bread

3. Doobie Brothers

4. The Carpenters

5. Petra (Christian Rock Band)

There it is. My TOP 5 lists during my teenage years in the three said categories. Did you choose any that I mentioned? If so, what were they?

Okay, moving right along...let us visit my 20's and 30's. Shoot, life has happened so much - trying to remember these three categories in my mind proves to be quite difficult. I mean, after all, I was married. I was a mother of two small children. I was a divorcee with two small children. Wait, make that three small children. TOP 5 Movies, TV Shows, and Bands from my 20's and 30's. (fingers are tapping on the desk...tap, tap, tap). I give up. I can only think of two movies right off the top of my head and maybe a song or two. As for television shows, I can only come up with one. ALF! LOL - -now who in here remembers ALF? 

My Top 5 Movies in my 20's and 30's were

1. The Last Temptation of Christ

2. Top Gun

3. Godfather (any of them) 

4. The Last Temptation of Christ

5. Mississippi Burning

My choices for the Top 5 TV Shows in my 20's and 30's were

1. General Hospital

2. 60 Minutes

3. The Cosby Show

4. The Facts of Life

5. Family Ties/ALF (tie for this spot)

Have I aged any of you?  As I write out my lists, I am thinking about my life during these specific times. I wonder if some of my choices were because of how life was back then? I never really was into comedy and I do not like watching it now or even listening to it...I am sorry if that offends anyone. Just my choice. 

The choices for the Top 5 Bands in my 20's and 30's were

1. Styx

2. Seals and Crofts

3. Fleetwood Mac

4. Bee Gee’s

5. Bebe and CeCe Winan

I have not thought about some of these choices in some time, but I knew they would be on my lists during a period in my life. I am going to move now into the present-day...yes, I skipped a few years. Have you aged me yet? Have you looked up any of these titles on Netflix, YouTube, Amazon Prime, Hulu? What about trying to find them on the radio? Have you searched the internet for any of these titles? 

My choice for the Top 5 Movies today are

1. The Passion of the Christ

2. Beaches with Bette Midler

3. Mrs. Doubtfire

4. Godfather (ALL of them)

5. Dances with the Wolves with Kevin Costner

 My Top 5 choices in TV Shows today are

1. 9 1 1 (both series)

2. New Amsterdam

3. FBI (both series)

4. This Is Us

5. Cutthroat Kitchen/Chopped/Guy's Grocery Games (all rank in my TOP 5 list)

My Top 5 choices for Bands today are: (this is a bit harder because I have single artists that rank higher than a Band or Group). 

1. Mercy Me

2. Third Day

3. Little Big Town

4. Fleetwood Mac

5. Bread (still my all-time favorite) 

and there you have it...my TOP 5 lists for each of the three categories. Did I choose any that you chose? Reading back through my list, I can honestly say - there are a few titles that my family would absolutely know without a doubt that they were my favorites. Then, on the other hand, they would not have a clue about some of them. Again, it is all about choices. I have reasons for choosing some of the names I have mentioned. Whether it is life experiences I have lived through or just being able to relate to the topic or lyric at hand. These are all my choices. 

How is your TOP 5 list coming along in each category? Did you have to break them down like I did, or did you know right off the bat what they were? Let me hear from you...

Until tomorrow...


Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

Facebook: H2hsc2020 
Twitter: H2hsc2020 
Instagram: Heart to Heart Soul Creations 
Pinterest: Heart to Heart Soul Creations (H2hsc2020)

#thinkingoutloud, #TOP5lists, #music, #movies, #TVshows, #bands, #memories, #life, #inspiration, #ponderinglife, #thelittlemoments, #choices

 

 

 

 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...