Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Day 22 - Challenges and Solutions

Day 22 - January 22, 2020

Challenges and solutions...I look at them as possibilities AND opportunities! After all, we can't grow if we don't have challenges, right? That's true even in life. Challenges create a problem. Solutions create the answers - so honestly, they go hand in hand.

I remember when I was in Corporate America working in Finance if I couldn't find that one error that was throwing every number off at the end during the billing cycle - it would drive me up the wall. I  had to find the solution in fixing the problem - hopefully, sooner than later. It could have been a human error by way of a number transposed, or maybe even a receipt not logged in. Whatever the case may be...the numbers had to align up correctly. I'd study each entry in the logbook - compare it to the invoices and accounts receivables, sometimes it was like looking for a needle in a haystack. So began the checks and balances being put in place NOT just at month-end, but each week - everything had to agree at the close of business on Friday afternoons. Problem solved...

Thinking about the kind of problems I face daily in my crafting projects or researching genealogy -- my problems are much different than finding a transposed number, or a missing invoice. Although at times, in genealogy - there can be and most often times, transposed numbers, many different ways a surname is spelt or pronounced, or missing data altogether (funny how that works).

When crafting, especially paper crafting - measurements and dimensions are huge. For instance, if I have a 12 x 12 piece of paper that I am creating a layout on  - I cannot have things larger than 12 x 12. I'd want to size them accordingly to the page. If I was creating a journal or an album, the dimensions are once again, very important. Especially the covers. The inside pages can be forgiving at times, but then again - within reason. A few of the steps I'd take when creating a journal or an album, I'd ask myself specific questions:

  • What are the dimensions of the covers (front and back), double-check the measurements. 
  • What are the dimensions of internal pages, double-check the measurements. 
  • Re-Check and re-measure all of the pages if necessary- the cover should be larger than the internal pages. 
  • I'd then look to see if something was amiss with the paper trimmer, ruler, etc. 
  • If the covers were going to be set in stone - then I'd look to see what I could use to increase their size - whether it be lace, additional chipboard, or possibly a different cover altogether. 
These would be my challenges and solutions. If I had to create an entirely new cover because the internal pages are larger - then guess what, the next journal I create would be suited around the cover that was measured incorrectly, to begin with! All wouldn't be lost...(I never throw mistakes away, because somewhere - in some kind of project, I'll be able to use the mess-ups!) SOLUTION!!! 

In life, we all face challenges. I don't recall receiving a manual during my bridal or baby shower that gave me a step by step guide in how to achieve what was going to be the expectation of me in the days ahead. It was a 'WIP' - work in progress and I'm still learning every single day. My philosophy is, 'if I'm not learning something new daily - then I'm not being challenged'. Life for me growing up and even into my adult life has been everything but an easy road...I had to learn at a very young age, how to keep a house, how to cook, how to wash clothes, how to do laundry, how to hold down a full-time job, how to finish school, how to be successful without
failures. Well, trust me - there were many failures and all of them had a lesson to learn. There were many challenges and I had to come up with the solutions. 

During my journey in life, I have turned 'those' stumbling blocks (challenges) into stepping stones (solutions). I have been able to encourage others how they too, can turn the stumbling blocks of life into stepping stones. Whether it be creating a list of things to do, recognizing the triggers, or attending a support group of some kind, etc. There is always a means to the end, but we have to put in the work. I wasn't raised with a silver spoon in my hand, I had to work for all that I have become and it hasn't been easy at times. Guess what, that is the challenge in life - - becoming!!! I can't be anyone else. I can only be me...whatever that looks like!

~Heart to Heart Soul Creations


#BlogBoost, #h2hsc2020, #crafting, #challenges, #solutions, #lifelessons, #inspiration, #opportunities, #hope, #encouragement




No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...