Monday, January 27, 2020

Genealogy - My 5th Great Grandfather

To organize, to craft or to work on my DNA matches - that is the elusive question today. All three need to be done - not specifically in the mentioned order though. I suppose, "need" isn't the correct word here either. Let me rephrase this...I would like to craft, organize or work on my DNA matches today! That's better...

Huff History book belongs to a cousin, Patti Huff Smith
I'm part of the Huff Family Genealogy Facebook group - because my 5th great grandfather was Samuel Huff, 1781-1868 from Virginia. In my tree, I have this particular family name spelled, Huff and Hough - they go hand in hand.

Over the course of the last week - the dialog in the Huff FB group has come up from new members on the search for the parents of their ancestors. Her name is Catherine. That ought to be simple enough - - I have several Catherine's in my family tree, I'll hop over there and take a look.

My family tree is quite large. I have 22,542 documented people, 11,296 pictures and 50,238 records on my 'main' family tree. Those numbers change each and every time I do genealogy. Many of these are not my direct lines, but they are siblings of grandparents' family, so forth and so on - which make them distant cousins to me. Over the course of the last 3 years, I have had the opportunity of meeting many new 2nd, 3rd and 5th cousins in person and by way of social media. My genealogy journey has been just that, a journey and I love it!!!! Not only do I get to learn the history of my ancestors - I'm also meeting new family members that I had no idea even existed.

After looking my tree over, processing a couple of searches -the Catherine I was hopefully looking for doesn't exist in my family tree as of today. If any of you do genealogy, you'll know what I mean by my next statement. I don't stay on one branch day after day...I move all over my tree. Most times, I'll be hot on a trail of research and I may not get anywhere else for days, weeks or even months until I figure that specific trail out. Catherine is no different.

I've pulled my Huff genealogy information out, I have my family tree open and I'm going to see if I can put any of the missing pieces together. Hopefully, Catherine will reveal herself and the family who is looking for her - can have their family puzzle put in place.

Here's to researching...I'm off to walk with the Ancestors. 


Picture of my family tree showing my 5th Gr Grandfather

James Madison Huff (top name) is my 4th Gr Grandfather, son of Samuel Huff, 1781



No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...