Saturday, January 25, 2020

The Great Adventure


Day 25, January 25, 2020

My husband and I got out this morning to pick up some presents from a friend of my daughter.  She will be giving birth to my 3rd grandchild any day now - so it made sense for us to pick these items up since her friend lives close to us. After all, she is on bed rest per doctor's orders. 

I thought it would be fun to take a drive out to the country and see what we could get into that's why I called it "The Great Adventure". We headed west on 114 towards Justin out behind Texas Motor Speedway (TMS). I can't get over all the new retail establishments they have built out there. If memory serves me correctly, TMS was built in 1996 and a lot of those facilities were supposed to be in place within a couple of years of TMS being built. There is a new Tanger Outlet Mall out there that has only been in place now for about 2 years. Twenty-four years later, there are other new restaurants, new gas stations, new hotels and now the Tanger Outlet Mall. We kept driving...

We arrived at our said location, picked up the items and put our next destination into the GPS. Now we are heading towards Denton. More construction, more retail outlets, and more detours. I can't get over how at one time empty fields of nothing have completely changed the landscape of our drive down 377. Now there are warehouses, pharmacies, new residential neighborhoods, and more retail establishments. Just a few years ago, taking this drive - all one would see would be timber and countryside. Not anymore - it's all concrete now. 

I didn't understand that statement a couple of years ago when I learned my daughter had relocated to Florida. "DFW is concrete" - that was her comment. I get it now. Everywhere we turn, new buildings are going up, new residential neighborhoods are taking the place of empty fields and pushing the wildlife out of their environment. It's all so concrete - but we are on a great adventure today. 

We continued to drive for about twenty more miles, ending up in the town we once lived. Oh my gosh - I didn't recognize the area. Everything has changed. That new building used to not be there. Look over there - wow, they built a pharmacy on the corner lot where an old abandoned home used to set. I loved driving by there in the Spring when the bluebonnets were in full bloom because the landscape was lush in color and it was always so picturesque. On any given day, you would see people having their pictures made in the bluebonnets. Not anymore...now it's concrete! We drove...

So much for country living here because everywhere one turns its concrete! Huge warehouses that set empty. Parking lots that are abandoned. Buildings being built next to empty buildings and houses waiting for new owners. So much for the great adventure today...it was all concrete! 

On our way home, I wanted to stop by a thrift store that was on the way. We pulled up to the stoplight and to the left of me, this statue caught my eye. How awesome it was made of bronze and the memory that it captured. 


Even though my day didn't look like a great adventure to many, seeing this Memorial made all the concrete sightings just that. Concrete! 

We will always remember 9/11. 

~~Heart to Heart Soul Creations
h2hsc2020


4 comments:

  1. I am a grass and tree kind of person, so concrete is low on my list as well. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes...it made me sad today seeing all of the construction and new buildings. I love the country and all that it holds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I get the same feeling when we go back "home" to visit after moving south 26 years ago. So much has changed, no more quite little country village.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live in a very rural area, but still see the same *progress* on a regular basis. I don't think my husband will ever be able to live within a city limits area because of that. We love our nature.

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...