Thursday, March 26, 2020

Creativity and Crafting

As far back as I can remember, I have loved crafting. It began as a young child. I'd grab a newspaper or a magazine and begin cutting away at the pages. Sometimes, I'd even tear them. 

I'd look for different words or phrases that I could use. Those bold titles, advertisements, photos, etc. I began watching how colors were displayed together and I locked the look into my memory. 

Through the years, I took I up scrapbooking. I recall my granddad loved taking black and white photos. At one time, I had a very large portfolio of his with nothing but amazing photographs in it. I don't know what happened to that. I have looked high and low for it. I'm sure it was misplaced many years ago during one of my life escapes. It makes my heart sad...especially today, with my appreciation of genealogy and family history preservation. What those stories would tell of his life. I miss granddad! 
My Grandparents and I - (2 yrs old)
When I was a teenager, scrapbooking was mainly what I did. I'd take school pictures or a few family photos and create images on construction paper, using some of those 'cut' out words, or letters and even other photos such as a butterfly, or a smiley face to enhance the look of my pages. I had no idea what an embellishment was back then, and I didn't have access to stickers. (which I can't stand!!)

Sometimes, I'd just draw a page full of flowers. I'm the artistic one in the family when it comes to drawing - but sometimes, I do amaze myself with something like these. (If you opened the page it would like this.

+
this was the opposite page of May in the Bullet Journal

front page from a Bullet Journal I made
Several years now, I've participated in several Facebook crafting, swapping groups. We craft, we swap, we have challenges, etc. I've learned many different tips and techniques that I had no idea these things even existed. Like fussy cutting or how to use oxide inks. Even using a sewing machine on a scrapbook layout. Wait - what? sewing on paper??? wow - when I first heard of that, I thought my granny would roll over in her grave if she knew I used a needle on paper. My granny was an amazing seamstress. She is pictured above. She made beautiful clothes, draperies, blankets, and many more items. She loved anything to do with textiles. At one time, she even crafted me a dress out of a parachute!!! I lived with Granny and Granddad until their deaths. I miss them a great deal. When I'm crafting at times, I wish I had had the opportunity of hearing granny talk about how she became a crafter in her own sense. I'd love hearing her stories and showing her things that I make. I think she would be pleased. 

Learning so many different techniques, I quickly moved from Scrapbooking into making tags, Loaded Envelopes, 9-pocket Pocket Letters, Artist Trading Cards (ATC), Junk Journal pages, different types of embellishments (altered paperclips, layered things, altered clothespins, etc.) and the list goes on and on. I learned mixed media and altered art. My world opened too many more things on my artistic side of my brain. After all, why wouldn't it? I was an accomplished violinist back in the day and the talent was there. Why would art be any different? 
an Altered bag I created


Now notice in my last paragraph I did not mention cards. Cards ARE my nemesis. I'm not sure why, but I can't stand making cards. Even after perusing Pinterest, YouTube, seeing other's creations - I abhor making handmade cards with a passion. I know, it's silly - - but! I can't explain my thinking on this one. I can set down wanting to make a handcrafted card for someone and I hit a brick wall. I can't get to the paper what my brain thinks. Cards and I just don't get along. Don't get me wrong, I have made cards in the past, but they are not my forte'. I'll pass on them most days. 
A Thanksgiving Day card I made a few years back

I prefer creating anything BUT cards, so I'll craft everything else! Scrapbooking was and will always be my first love. I can set for hours on end losing all sense of time when I'm crafting. Scrapbooking is no different. I don't particularly care for digital scrapbooking. I'm more of a hands-on type of person. I love feeling the different textures in my hands, looking or creating that specific embellishment, making different types of tuck spots or pockets on the page and creating something that others will enjoy while looking at their photograph.

I'm all about the details! I build my layouts from the picture itself. I've made many scrapbooks for family members and others. In fact, a few years ago I had a young lady ask me how much I'd charge her to make scrapbooks from a few of her photographs. I quoted her a price and she dropped off the pictures. When all was said and done, I had scrapped over 2000 photographs and she ended up with 18 beautiful scrapbook albums that she and her family would enjoy for generations to come.  

A couple of years ago, I was introduced to Junk Journals (JJ). Oh my, oh my...what can I say - I fell in love with them. I follow several Facebook groups on JJ's. Talk about intimidation!  It took me a while before I posted any of my things on those sites. I would set and watch YouTube videos for hours on end trying to figure out what all the hype was about. I quickly figured it out. I scrapbook and do all these other types of crafts - how difficult could a junk journal be? Oh, trust me, it was QUITE difficult! I didn't have the first clue how to make a hidden spine or incorporate a pull-out pocket or a flip-up page. So, I educated myself in Junk Journaling 101! I watched more and more videos. I still watch videos to this day.

According to the internet, the definition of a  Junk Journal is a handmade book made up of recycled items such as papers from magazines, brochures, patterned paper, music sheets, envelopes, packaging, brown paper bags, maps, greeting cards, postcards, doilies, to name a few. The book covers can be made from cereal boxes, old book covers or any hard cardboards. 

A Junk Journal can be anything and everything!! You don't need anything fancy. Just random 

STUFF! We all have stuff, right? I can pull out any drawer in my crafting room and find stuff. 
Whether it's something my son has kept from his younger days or something, my husband
has found during his day at work. From time to time, he will walk in the door and say, 
"I found you something today you might be able to use in your crafting projects"!
 I love it when he brings little trinkets home that I can incorporate into my crafting. 

I made a few months back. I've posted the actual junk journal and a few pages from it. 

A Junk Journal I made recently
another view
the signatures




the back



Crafting, my favorite past time as far back as I can remember.  

I'm off to continue working on my current junk journal, "My Asthmatic Body". It's coming along nicely. I'm in the process of making the ephemera for it from different things I've collected and printed off with regard to Environmental Asthma, quality air control, food, and drinks that help boost an asthmatics immune system, Facts/Myths, and what my specific journey has been learning to live with Environmental Asthma. 

I wonder if my grandparents were still living today if they would enjoy making junk journals? 

Got junk, try making your own Junk Journal! 

Have a GREAT day!

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020








#crafting, #scrapbooking, #memories, #gluebooks, #junkjournals, #art, #mixedmedia, #homeschoolart, #homeschoolactivities, #inspiration

No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...