Sunday, March 22, 2020

National "Goof" Off Day 2020

National Goof Off Day 2020

When I saw this on a list of potential blogs to write, I immediately knew who and what I wanted to write. Who else is notorious for being goofy, other than Goofy himself? How many of you remember him and all his shenanigans? 

Back in the day, on those Saturday mornings in our house, my siblings and I would sit for hours watching classic cartoons. Occasionally now, I'll turn on Classic Cartoons and watch a few here and there. It's funny now that I'm older - how I view them. Do any of you do that? 

Goofy is a funny animal cartoon character created in 1932 at Walt Disney Productions. Goofy is a tall, anthropomorphic dog who typically wears a turtle neck and vest, with pants, shoes, white gloves, and a tall hat originally designed as a rumpled fedora. Goofy is a close friend of Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. He is normally characterized as extremely clumsy and somewhat dimwitted, yet this interpretation is not always definitive; occasionally Goofy is shown as intuitive, and clever, albeit in his own unique, eccentric way. (Wikipedia)

Oh my, the things he would get in to.

I'm not up to date on cartoons and their characters today since I don't have little ones running around anymore. But being goofy is sometimes hilarious to me. Goofy - the definition of that word stumps me. Definition: foolish or harmlessly eccentric. Why would anyone want to act foolish and seem eccentric just to do so? I suppose that's one reason I'm not the comedian in the family. I'll leave that to my son. He can walk into a room and bring the crowd to laughter just by a single word. Maybe he missed his acting calling - who knows. 

C'mon - being goofy! Really? In all reality, I can't stand comedy sitcoms - I don't find the humor in them and I think they are more stupid than anything. (sorry folks) - I'm trying...

I'm more on the serious side of things on most days. A few years back, I had a doctor tell me, "your problem is you don't know how to laugh and have fun - let loose, laugh". I sat there staring at him thinking to myself I'm sure - you don't know me, don't judge me! I didn't have time to be silly growing up. I had to grow up at a very young age and being serious is all I knew. It was my survival mechanism. Well, after that day with this doctor, I have lightened up a great deal. I laugh. I tell a joke from time to time; I make off the wall comments at times from something I've heard. I laugh so hard at times, I cry. Yes, but at the same time, I'm still quite serious - today though, I do know when to let my hair down so to speak and laugh. 

Remembering back when my 1st husband and I were youth ministers '80's, we would have youth group parties on April Fool's Day. I could come up with some hilarious games for them and honestly, I would have a great laugh! April Fool's Day - does that count? For instance, I'd make a beautiful cake for the group. Only to learn when they cut into it - it would be Styrofoam or a piece of foam decorated to look like a beautiful cake. (Don't worry, I had the real thing in the kitchen!). Or what about the Caramel Apple eating contests we would do? Those juicy plump apples covered in oozy gooey caramel with nuts sprinkled on them. Oh snap, those aren't apples - they were caramel covered onions! (oops!) So, you see, I can laugh and have fun, in fact, be goofy when I want to be. I haven't played any of these types of goofy jokes on people in a few years. Maybe this year, I'll come up with something for my friends and family...time will tell! 
Goofy being goofy

I'm wondering what kind of shenanigans are going to take place today now that so many people are homebound and in each other's spaces? In fact, what do shenanigans today even look like? I have no clue. Someone, please enlighten me. 


hello Goofy

There won't be any goofing around in our house today considering it being National Goof Off day. How about you? Feel free to leave a comment telling me what kind of 'goof off's you encountered today. I'd love to read the posts. 


Have a wonderful "goofy" kind of day! 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020



2 comments:

  1. I missed the memo that it was good off day! My great granddaughter and I goofed off baking cookies though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh. Loved the post about the cookies...glad there were lessons learned while baking. :)

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...