Friday, March 27, 2020

National Day of...


According to a Calendar I stumbled across recently, today is National "Joe", "Spanish Paella", "Scribble", and, "International Medical Science Liaison" Day. 

I think I'll write about National Joe Day as I've never eaten Paella (although I have many friends who cook it), "Scribble" - is that the same as doodling? and Medical Science Liaison, I'll save that for another day as the entire Medical field is on extreme overload at the moment putting their lives and the lives of their families at risk while saving others during this most difficult season in our land. Before I go further, let me say "THANK YOU"! 

National Joe Day - is that coffee or the name of a person? If this is pertaining to coffee - this is going to be a no brainer for me as I can't stand coffee. I've NEVER drunk coffee in my life and I'm not about to start now.   I literally cannot stand the smell of it on a person's breath. This goes back to my childhood days...now the smell of coffee brewing is something completely different. I like smelling a fresh pot of coffee. 

Thinking about how many Joes I might know; I'm reminded that I went to school with a few of them. There was this Joe and that Jo. This Jody and that Jodie. There was Josephine and Josie. Then there was Joey and Joy. Also, in the class were Johanna and Joseph. We also have a few men named Joe in the family. I hadn't thought about many of these individuals for a few years... 

So exactly what is all the fuss about this National Joe Day? According to the Calendar site linked above, on National Joe Day, which is March 27th, they encourage everyone to enjoy a cup of joe with all your friends named Joe, Jo, Joey, Joseph, and Josephine. It also says not to forget names like Joetta, Jody, Johanna, Jodie or any other variant of the name Joe. 

If you didn't know it, quite a few nicknames can be created from this one name. How many can you come up with? 

According to the Social Security Administration, the name Joseph was ranked No. 6 from 1893 to 1899 behind John, William, James, George, and Charles. In 1910, it moved to No. 5. From 1911 to 2005 it was ranked No. 12 or lower. 

Now I'm curious HOW many Joe's or the variations of I have in my family tree. That ought to be fun trying to figure that one out. Maybe they have a search filter that would assist me in determining this. I'll get back to you on my findings! LOL

Did you know that Famous Joes, Jos and Jo Ann’s populate the world? How many can you name? No cheating...

I think it's interesting how we get the idea in our head that a name defines us. That is not true...how can a name define us? 

Looking further at this Calendar and exactly what National Joe Day was all about, it listed a few Famous Joes who filled many roles and wore a variety of hats! 

Here are just a few the site mentioned: 

·         American football player and coach – Joe Montana 
·         Comedian, musician, and actor – Joe Pesci 
·         Politician and layer – Joe Biden 
·         American football player – Joe Namath 
·         Baseball player – Shoeless Joe Jackson
·         Olympic medalist, swimmer – Josephine McKim
·         American football player – Joe Greene
·         Actress – Jodie Foster
·         Musician – Joe Jonas
·         Baseball player, actor – Joe DiMaggio
·         Musician – Joe Cocker

I'm familiar with the names listed above as they were on the television and in the news regularly when I was young. Some of them, we still hear about today from time to time. 

Joe Montana - one of the greatest NFL players of all time. (I remember watching him play football when I was young).

Joe Pesci - he is hilarious. I really enjoyed the movie Twins, 1988 - when he Co-Starred with Arnold Schwarzenegger. There are many more movies, but Twins was the first one I thought about. 

Joe Biden, we see him on the television quite a bit these days. I wonder if he'll be our next President. 

Joe Namath - played College football for Alabama Crimson Tide under the leadership of Paul "Bear" Bryant. He acquired his nickname "Broadway Joe" as a result of his ownership of a New York City Nightclub in 1969. He sold it though and returned to playing for the Jets. (It's interesting the things we can learn through the world wide web).

Shoeless Joe Jackson - I don't know this name, but I listed it as a reminder to research his story. 

Josephine McKim - she is also known as Josephine Chalmers, her married name. She was an Olympic swimmer in 1928 and 1932. She won three medals. 

(I'm glad they finally have made the decision to postpone this year's Olympics. It took them long enough!)

Joe Greene - also known as Mean Joe Greene!! Oh yes, recall this name back in the day. According to the Encyclopedia Britannica - Mr. Greene was an American professional gridiron football player who is widely considered one of the greatest defensive linemen in the National Football League (NFL) history

Jodie Foster - I grew up watching her movies. Most of them anyway. I have my favorites and they aren't in any order. Flight plan, Silence of the Lambs, Panic Room, Bugsy Malone, Nell, Freaky Friday, Inside Man, Little Man Tate. 

Joe Jonas - you may know this name by way of the singing group, "Jonas Brothers". My daughter as a teenager listened to them around the clock. Me, not so much...sorry. 

Joe DiMaggio - was an American Icon in Baseball. 

Joe Cocker - who doesn't remember his English accent and gritty voice. If you don't, these titles might resonate with you. "You Are So Beautiful," and "I Get by With A Little Help from My Friends". 

There are so many more Famous Joes around - who comes to mind for you? Let me know by leaving me a comment. 

Being on quarantined to our homes across America and abroad - you may not have an opportunity to enjoy a cup of Joe with a friend or loved ones who are named with such a name. I'd encourage you to call them up, chat for a while - maybe even FB skype with them - enjoying memories of yesterday and don't talk about the headlines of today. 

Wake up and smell the coffee...

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020








#UltimateBlogChallenge, #challenge, #history, #memories, #famouspeople, #blogging, #blogboost, #Java, #coffee, #earlymorningcoffee, #Joe, 

1 comment:

  1. Interesting Joes! I (or should I say Lia) wrote about National Scribble Day!

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...