Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Submarine Sandwiches and then some


How many of you enjoy a submarine sandwich, also known as a sub, hoagie, hero, or grinder consisting of a length of bread or roll split lengthwise and filled with a variety of meats, cheeses, vegetables, and condiments from time to time? 

My family and I treat ourselves to a sandwich such as this from time to time...not often, but occasionally. 

My husband and I have our favorites and they aren't the same. I'm more of the toasty kind of person and he wants his cold. I like different pieces of bread and he is plain and simple. 

After researching this topic in preparation for writing this blog, I learned through Wikipedia that The Italian sandwich originated in several different Italian American communities in the Northwestern United States from the late 19th - mid 20th centuries. There are a couple of states Portland and Maine who claims they are the birthplace of the Italian sandwich. The popularity is evident in the Eastern states such as Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Rhode Island. 

I recall my one and only trip to New York City back in 1996 - walking through the mass city - there was a deli shop on every corner. They had fresh meats and fresh cheese among other items in their shops. It was amazing...growing up in Amarillo, Texas - the only thing close to this was the local butcher shop. (I frequented that with mom/dad on numerous occasions watching them pick just the right cut of meat or a random soup bone from time to time). I was amazed by the Deli shops in NYC. 

When I began putting thoughts to this blog - I posted a comment on Facebook asking my friends and family to share their favorite submarine sandwich. I wanted to see what their choices were. Did they like toasted, condiments, vegetables, more meat, this type of bread or that type of bread...the results were quite fascinating, and I replied to each of them. Some of the items they stated wouldn't be my choice - but none the less, they all sounded delicious. It's funny the content that will drive a conversation. I even had other friends chiming in on the comments. It was great!!! 

From the comments, Black Forest Ham seemed to rank high for individual choices. Following close behind were turkey, tuna, roast beef and Italian meats such as Genoa Salami, Pepperoni, and Spicy Sausages. I enjoy Pepperoni - does that count? Someone also mentioned a Muffuletta. I had no idea that was a type of round Sicilian sesame bread and a popular sandwich that originated among Italian immigrants in New Orleans, Louisiana, using the same bread. (my 52% Italian heritage didn't teach me that). 

The vegetable choices were also very close. Whether it be pickles, tomatoes, olives, cucumbers, assorted peppers, lettuce, purple onions, or spinach. Condiment choices were consistent across the board too. They ranged from mayonnaise, brown/yellow mustard, vinegar, and oil. 

Cheese choices were interesting. Several individuals chose Pepper Jack Cheese (which I'm not a fan of), while others chose Swiss or American. (I'm straight-up American - but I enjoy eating Gouda, Gruyere and other fine cheeses not found in your local submarine shops). 

Now that we have the meats, vegetables, cheese, and condiments chose - there was the choice of bread. For myself, I enjoy grains and nuts - Italian bread, and wheat. (I'm not big on plain ole white bread). A few chose simple bread, and another wanted Rye bread. My mom enjoyed Rye bread...not me! It's obvious that in order to have a delicious submarine sandwich, sub, hoagie, hero or grinder it's all about preferences. 

I'd add a touch of salt and pepper to the mix of things and others also indicated they would do the same. 

Finishing up this post, I'm reminded of a show I used to watch as a little girl - maybe some of you remember - Blondie and Dagwood? THAT Dagwood sandwich...Does that fall in the lines of a submarine sandwich? I always wondered how on earth he could eat such a sandwich...but he did! LOL 

It's clear that these types of sandwiches are still favored today across the United States and abroad. What're your favorites? Anything unusual not mentioned above or would you like to add anything I didn't include? Let me hear from you...

I need to raid the kitchen now; I need a sandwich! 



Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020






No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...