Thursday, March 19, 2020

National Women's History Celebration

History is our strength. There are many ways to build, create and memorize the strength of individuals. As I thought about my post regarding National Women's History month - I thought about the recent OWN movement that has been at the forefront of many individuals now for a few years. I personally never got on board with it, but I do have my personal convictions about the movement. I do believe all rights of human beings need to be honored and the people need to be treated like people instead of numbers or less than by others. 

Being a genealogist, I find it fascinating when researching my own family roots - the individuals I have researched who in my mind should and could have easily been nominated as one of the revered women for National Women's History. Their endurance, their dedication, their sacrifices, their discoveries left unchartered or recognized, their history is what kept them steadfast in times of great hardships. They were the true backbone of their families while their husbands were away fighting wars, giving their lives for the causes they fought for. These women were the silent heroes...the silent reminders that women have always been the dynamic force behind many wonderful facets of life. These women paved the way for others who were to follow. 

Every year March is designated Women's History Month by Presidential proclamation. The month is set aside to honor women's contributions to American history. Women's History Month began as a local celebration in Santa Rosa, California.

In 1980, President Jimmy Carter issued the 1st proclamation dedicating March 8 as National Women's History Week. It's ironic to me because Jimmy Carter is in our immediate family lines as his mother was from my mother's paternal lines. Genealogy research uncovered this for me.  

March 1st - March 31st is National Women's History Month. Through the years, the names of women have increased with some names being known and others having no clue who they are. I recall learning about several of the revered women in Elementary, Middle and High School. 

Several of these names still resonate with me today for many reasons:

Helen Keller, B. 1880-1968, Education. Through an illness, she became deaf, blind and mute. She became the most famous disabled person in the world. Although deaf and blind, Helen Keller graduated from college. She wrote about her life and became an activist for the disabled. ... She helped millions of people who, like her, were blind and deaf. (where would people be today, had it not been for Ms. Keller's sacrifices and great accomplishments) and yet, the powers that be in Education, feel "the characteristics of good citizenship," "Helen Keller does not best represent the concept of citizenship today and they have removed her story and accomplishments from educational material in our schools. Her story will go silent. Her accomplishments will go silent. 

Emily Dickinson, B. 1830-1886, Arts. Ms. Dickinson is one of the world's Greatest Poets. 

Sallie Ride, B. 1951-2012, Science. She became the first American woman in space, 1983. She was an astronaut on a space shuttle mission. Her job was to work the robotic arm. She used the arm to help put satellites in space.  

Billie Holiday, B. 1915-1959, Arts. (Her birth name was Eleanora Fagan). Ms. Holiday was an American Jazz Singer with a career spanning nearly 30 years before losing her battle to substance abuse. (I have watched her movie and documentary many times). 

Lucille Ball, B. 1911-1989, Arts, Business. Ms. Ball became an American actress, comedienne, model, entertainment studio executive, and producer. You may recognize some of these shows: I Love Lucy, The Lucy Show, Here's Lucy, and Life with Lucy. Ms. Ball's childhood life was full of hardship and shaped by tragedy and lack of money. It was through her tenacity, resilience, and determination she made a statement for herself in the acting world. (Who didn't like "I Love Lucy"? I still enjoy watching her movies, her sitcoms and getting a laugh here and there).

Eleanor Rosalynn Carter, B. 1922. Humanities. Ms. Carter is an American who served as First Lady of the United States from 1977 to 1981, as the wife of President Jimmy Carter. For decades, she has been a leading advocate for numerous causes such as Mental Health Issues, Habitat for Humanity and the Carter Center to name a few. 

Julia Child, B. 1912-2004, Arts. Ms. Child was a cooking teacher, author, and television personality. She is recognized for bringing French cuisine to the American public with her book debut, "Mastering the Art" (Wikipedia) Still today, many chefs and cooks alike refer to Ms. Child. 

Annie Oakley, B. 1860-1926, Arts. (Her birth name was Phoebe Ann Mosey) Ms. Oakley is an iconic figure, especially for women interested in shooting sports. Her skills made her famous. She is remembered as the legendary frontwoman for Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show, and an advocate for women to learn a sport that was primarily dominated by men. (National Women's History Museum)

Maya Angelou, B. 1925-2014, Humanity, Arts. Ms. Angelou was an American poet, singer, memoirist, and civil rights activist. She published seven autobiographies, three books of essays, several books of poetry, and is credited with a list of plays, movies, and television shows spanning over 50 years. (Wikipedia). (I remember vividly where I was when the world learned of her death). She was known by her acclaimed 1969 Memoir, "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings". 

Louisa May Alcott, B. 1832-1888, Arts. Ms. Alcott was an American novelist, short story writer, and poet best-known author for Little Women. (I remember my Grandmother and Aunt having all her books in their library. Those books fascinated me. I was excited to hear when the movie, Little Women made it to the big screen). It's still on my 'to watch list'. 

There are so many other names I could list and talk about. Names like Amelia Earhart, Susan B. Anthony, Amelia Bloomer, Mary McLeod Bethune, Oprah Winfrey, Betty Ford, Elizabeth Blackwell (who paved the way for women in medicine), and Gerty Theresa Cori who was a Jewish Austro-Hungarian-American biochemist who in 1947 was the third woman—and first American woman—to win a Nobel Prize in science, and the first woman to be awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine, for her role in the discovery of glycogen metabolism. (Wikipedia). I find her story empowering on many different levels.

All the names I have listed are just a drop in the bucket of who is who in Women that are recognized for National Women's History.  I could continue listing names that have inspired me, intrigued me, and empowered me. I know we all have our personal reasons for who we look up to, who inspire us and who motivate us...our lists might be the same and they might be different for many reasons.

If you would like to learn about other women who have been set apart and recognized as National Women in History, visit the National Women's Hall of Fame

In closing, I leave you with this...

"Stripped to be Rebuilt - had it not been for my own journeys in life, through pain, abandonment, sacrifices filled with hurt, convictions, being a victim and by the betrayals - I would have never found my voice or became the person I am today through being fearless, having tenacity, being resilient and becoming a warrior through and through. It is by these stumbling blocks that I have turned into steppingstones to make a difference in someone else's life." ~~Nancy Smith, H2HSC2020

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for reminding us of these great folks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I share a love for so many of these women... so grateful how you honored them all, here. Happy Women's History Month!

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...