Sunday, March 22, 2020

National Quilting Day 2020

National Quilting Day 2020

I was excited to learn that today was National Quilting Day. I remember my granny and great granny having quilts on their bed. Some were thicker than others and they were so pretty. All the vibrant colors and their amazing patterns. Several of them look torn and tattered too. You could tell that they had been around a long time. 

When I think about how quilts were once made (by hand) I can't even begin to fathom the time and dedication it took to cut all the squares out. Then sew it by hand. What dedication our grannies had. Tenacity to see it through to fruition. Hours upon hours.


A cousin made this quilt for me
the reversed side of my quilt






My cousin, Rosie's quilt

I've read that it takes approximately 100 hours to make a quilt. That equates to a little over 4 days if a person was working the full 24 hours a day on that quilt!!! That must be with a sewing machine, but can you imagine sewing a King-sized quilt by hand after cutting out all the different pieces needed for it? Our grannies and ancestors were dedicated in days of yesterday.
I've often thought to myself one day I would learn how to make a quilt. I received a sewing machine for Christmas a couple of years ago that I use in my crafting projects. How hard would it be to sew a quilt? All I would need is some material, (old shirts, old pants, quarter squares), grab some batting, pins, needle, thread, rotary tool and a self-healing mat. I might need an iron (not sure why) and sewing machine. I might even find a quilting class at our local library. That would be fun to get a group of friends together to learn quilting together. 

National Quilting Day is observed on March 21, 2020. It celebrates quilts and those who make them annually on the third Saturday in March. The National Quilting Association started National Quilting Day in 1991. Their members passed a resolution in Lincoln, Nebraska, on June 1991.

Image result for wedding quilt


A quilt is a type of bed cover, traditionally composed of 3 layers of fiber: a woven cloth top, a layer of batting or wadding and a woven back combined using the technique of quilting. A quilt is distinguishable from other types of blankets because it is pieced together with several pieces of cloth. “Quilting” refers to the technique of joining at least two fabric layers by stitches or ties. (With material from Wikipedia) This text has been taken from www.cute-calendar.com

I am the Admin of a Cousin’s Facebook group from my 2nd Great Grandfather's line on my mother's Paternal side (try saying that 3 times in a row!) I posted a notice in there on Saturday about it being National Quilting Day and asked if anyone had a quilt their Ancestors had made. I received a photo of this gem from my cousin, Naomi. 
It is between 50 and 60 years old and was made by Naomi's grandmother, Minnie Mae McLeod Monk. I love the color choices and the simplicity in the quilt. What a priceless piece of family history Naomi has to treasure for years to come. It's funny how I tie my blogs into family history and genealogy. I love it!!! 

Quilt made by Minnie Mae McLeod Monk
The quilt following this sentence is that of my 1st cousin's granddaughter. We have another cousin who made my quilt and this quilt. 


Ms. Bertie's quilt. She is 18 months old. 
backside of Ms. Bertie's quilt
In closing, during those cold winter months, we can stay warm with our quilts that were made with love...

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

2 comments:

  1. I made a quilt from velvet scraps years ago. When we moved I stored some things in a storage building where everything got moldy, including my velvet quilt. I've made a few small t-shirt quilts and plan to make a memory quilt from Lia's shirts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful quilts makes me wish I had my quilt my grandmother made me but they was lost in our house fire.

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...