Saturday, June 27, 2020

In The Kitchen - Ron's Deer Jerky

My husband is from Illinois where the deer are enormous. When I transplanted him to Texas, he laughed at the deer here. He said, "They look like a small dog". I suppose where we live this is true, but down south they are massive I hear. 

I have not had the opportunity of seeing deer in South Texas so I cannot confirm this. I have watched television shows for hunting trips, and they do show large deer. Maybe one day I will see for myself. That would require a lease though and they are quite expensive not to mention the travel expense and all. Time will tell...

I lived in Illinois the first year he and I married. I enjoyed driving around Sangchris Lake in Christian County and seeing the massive Bucks standing in the road. Talk about a sight. They stood there in their majestic form with racks as wide as a door. Such a beautiful sight. 

A memory I have when we first got married, is with my youngest daughter who was four years old at the time. We would take a picnic lunch and go sit by the lake to watch the geese. There was a Nature Preserve there. She would try and feed the geese pieces of bread and they would run after her squawking. Talk about a sight. It was quite hilarious to see. I do not know if it was funny seeing her run or the fact the geese just wanted all her bread. None-the-less, the memories of those days still resonate in my mind as if it were yesterday. 

Getting back to Venison. When he bagged a deer, I always knew Deer Jerky was going to be on point. He cleaned his own deer and we made our own jerky. I must admit, the jerky is quite delicious, to say the least. 

My husband does not hunt much these days. Trying to find public land and the time to go has proven to be difficult in the last couple of years. We have investigated a lease in the Oklahoma/Arkansas area as I have relatives in both places. That would make a nice trip for him and reconnecting with family for me. 

RON'S DEER JERKY

8 oz. Soy Sauce Lite
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 T. Lemon Juice
1 T. Liquid Smoke
*2 lbs. Deer, stripped

Mix Soy Sauce, salt, pepper, garlic powder, lemon juice, and liquid smoke in a bowl. 
Pour over meat. Let set overnight in the refrigerator covered. 
Line the bottom of your oven with foil. (be sure NOT to cover the heating element or the holes in the oven). If you have a dehydrator, you can use it instead. 
Put the oven on the lowest setting. 
Hang the meat on the racks. Cook until done. 
Leave the oven door cracked with a wooden spoon while cooking. 

Once the jerky has cooked all the way, remove from oven, and let cool. 
After it cools, store in freezer bags or a bowl. 

*You can substitute the deer for a roast to make the jerky. Have the butcher slice it up for you to the thickness you choose. Then you will cut it into strips. 


Enjoy! 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

Facebook: H2hsc2020
Twitter: H2hsc2020
Instagram: Heart to Heart Soul Creations
Pinterest: Heart to Heart Soul Creations (H2hsc2020)



#inthekitchen, #jerky, #venison, #cooking, #snack, #roast, #memories, #storytelling, #recipes, #recipe, #deerjerky, #Illinois, #homeschoolmomscooking, #homeschoolcooking, #yummy, #delicious


2 comments:

  1. David. Would like Deer Kerky but not sure if C would or not.. As for me I will pass even though I love Jerky as long as it isnt hot. I may get a Roast out of the Freezer and use your recipe to make Jerky for C and I.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well, I don't know about Kerky, but I tell you what...my kids loved it. I think C would too....don't tell him until after that fact. That's what Ronnie's mom did with H when she cooked rabbit. told her it was chicken..LOL

      My dad used to do roasts. you could have the butcher slice it for you. :-)

      h2hsc2020

      Delete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...