Thursday, June 11, 2020

Memories of the Past - TBT

It is Thursday and that means it is 'Throwback Thursday". I always wonder where the slang came from. I suppose I need to research this and report back. Unless of course, you know the answer - you can save me the time of researching and leave me a comment below. Thank you very much in advance! LOL - - I wonder if anyone knows?

Today, I am going to share photos of my Grandmother, Leatha Inez Chenault. She was born on June 1, 1912, in Leonard, Texas, and died on April 26, 1971, in Amarillo, Texas. Her nickname was Meg. To this day, no one that I have talked to knows when or where the nickname came from. That is still a mystery to me. I asked my mom several years ago and she did not know. In fact, she did not even know she had a nickname! 

My Granny (as I called her) and her 2nd husband, R. D. Schoonover, raised me from the time I was born until her death in 1971. After that, I was still very much a part of my granddad Schoonover's life until he died the following year. 

This first picture is of my Granny on her wedding day. She was fourteen years old. Pictured with her is a friend that we have been unable to identify. She married Richard Munroe Gordy, 1904-1962. They had four children. 
Inez Wedding Day, 14 yrs old
Richard Munroe Gordy Family (my mom is in white)
My Grandparents with my mom


My Grandmother in the white dress with her sister, Lola
L to R: my grandparents with my Great Grandparents (Jerome (he is standing behind Nellie) and Nellie Martin Chenault)
also pictured is a brother of my Great Grandfather Jerome.
(I had never seen this photograph until I met a 2nd cousin - daughter of my G.Grandfather's brother pictured here. She sent me many photos of my Great Grandfather Jerome Chenault when he was a young man)
My Grandmother was a seamstress. She made most of my clothes when I was a child. My mom told me I always had matching bloomers and socks that would coordinate with my dresses. My Granny even made a dress for me out of a parachute. (it is pictured below). 
Letha Inez Chenault Gordy Schoonover
My Granny and I, 1962

My Granddad, me and, my Granny -1964


I was two years old in this photo


I enjoy very much 'walking with my ancestors' and learning about family history. I have an extensive family tree on Ancestry and daily, I am looking at my DNA matches and researching in hopes of learning more and hopefully finding new family photos that have not been seen by my family. 

I can lose track of time when I am walking with my ancestors especially if I am on a hot trail. I love reading the documentation, perusing the family photos, and looking at other family trees who may share common names with me. 

Genealogy is one of my favorite things to do. I have learned to take the good with the bad and remember we cannot turn the clock back on time, but we can embrace our future and remember our ancestors. Without them, none of us would be here today...

Have you ever wondered where your family's roots came from? My paternal lines are from Sicily and my maternal lines are England, Wales, Scotland, and other Regions. Genealogy is interesting and fun. Why not start your family tree today? In fact, Ancestry has their DNA kits on sale right now for a fraction of their regular price.

Whether you are an experienced genealogist or just starting out, I would love to hear from you. Drop me a comment. 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

Facebook: H2hsc2020
Twitter: H2hsc2020
Instagram: Heart to Heart Soul Creations
Pinterest: Heart to Heart Soul Creations (H2hsc2020)




#ThrowbackThursday, #TBT, #memories, #genealogy, #familytree, #myheritage, #familytreedna, #DNA, #memoriesofthepast, #walkingwiththeancestors, #family, #research, #homeschooling, #homeschooleducation, #history, #sewing, #myroots



3 comments:

  1. How interesting for Throwback Thursday! My grandmother was a seamstress also, she made me a winter coat from my cousin's Navy dress uniform even using the brass buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you so much....I thought I would honor my grandmother since I missed doing so on her birthday just a few days ago. One memory I have of her, well actually two of them - is they had a goldfish/coy fish pond in their backyard and she had a green house attached to the back of the house as well. I think that is where the love of plants for me comes from now that I think about it...

    Love the memories of yesterday, don't you?

    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely selection of family photos and memories. I have been finding my genealogy work comforting in this time of pandemic. Hours fly by and I look for leads and gather stories.

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...