Thursday, June 18, 2020

In The Kitchen With Grandma

A few years ago, my brother-in-law sent me a DVD with family photos of my husband's family. I took all of these photos and made a Scrapbook Album for my sister-in-law. She is my husband's sister.

As I looked through the photographs, I was amazed at the images before me. I knew these memories needed to be captured and saved for generations to come. I uploaded the ones we had identified and started asking questions on the ones my husband did not know.

There were pictures of his grandfather as a baby. Photographs of his Uncle on his tour in Vietnam. Also in the pile of pictures was his Grandmother with his mother when she was a baby and other family members with the memories they carried.

Among them was a photograph of his Grandmother in the kitchen cooking a meal. As I sat here over the weekend thinking about the next recipe I wanted to share on my blog, I remembered the photograph of his Grandmother. Her name was Rita.

I asked my husband about her cooking and if there was a meal he could remember her cooking. He told me about something she cooked that had cow tongue and brains in it. He went on to say he was very young at that time. I do not think he liked it much because he made a funny face when he was telling me the story of the cow tongue and brains! 

He went on to say, "she cooked the best Chicken Pot Pie" and "Oyster Dressing". As he was telling me about these memories, his face lit up...you could sense he was enjoying the memories I brought forth in him by talking about the photograph.

Meet Rita, my husband's Grandmother. I did not have the opportunity of knowing her very long as she passed away shortly after we were married. Listening to my husband talk about her cooking, it sounds like she was an amazing cook.



OYSTER DRESSING RECIPE

8 cups plain bread cubes or 8 cups cornbread cubes
1  1/2 cup celery (chopped)
1 cup onion (chopped)
2 - 8 oz. cans of oysters, with liquid
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper 1 teaspoon ground sage
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 cup evaporated milk


DIRECTIONS: 

1. Heat milk, butter, and oyster liquid in a small pan
2. Combine bread cubes, celery, onion, spices, and oysters
3. Add liquid and stir
4. Stuff poultry or place in a greased baking dish
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until poultry is done. 

Maybe the next time you make a nice meal, Oyster Dressing will be one of the dishes served. 

I think I am going to try this with a baked Chicken in the near future. (I have not ever had Oyster Dressing). 

Have you eaten Oyster Dressing before? 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

Facebook: H2hsc2020
Twitter: H2hsc2020
Instagram: Heart to Heart Soul Creations
Pinterest: Heart to Heart Soul Creations (H2hsc2020)

#Recipe, #Recipes, #inthekitchen, #cooking, #delicious, #memories, #memoriesofgrandma, #ancestry


2 comments:

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...