Thursday, June 18, 2020

Throwback Thursday - Grandma Kercher

HAPPY 120TH BIRTHDAY GRANDMA KERCHER!!! 

Dorothea Grace Reasor was born on June 18, 1900, in Calhoun, Richland County, Illinois. She died on January 16, 1992, in Amarillo, Potter County, Texas. 


My Grandma Kercher did not know her dad growing up. She learned of half-siblings later in her life. She was able to meet some of them before her passing.


Grandma Kercher and her half-siblings

Grandma Kercher was married two different times. The first man she married was named Harold Severance Moore, I, 1892-1947, and the second marriage was to George William Kercher, 1892-1947. 

Grandma and Mr. Moore had eight children. Today, the youngest daughter is still living. She is 86 years old. Out of the eight children, there were two sons and six daughters. One of the daughters died when she was five months old. 

My adopted father was one of the sons of Grandma Kercher. Melvin Royce Moore. He was born on March 21, 1926 and died on April 26, 2009. Family is not always blood-related. 

I have many memories of Grandma Kercher. She worked for the Amarillo Globe-News as a Paper Carrier. She put the newspapers in those paper boxes people would put coins in. 

I recall in the summer going on the paper routes with Grandma Kercher. When we were finished, we would stop at a local hamburger joint drive-through on the outskirts of Amarillo, Texas. We both ordered a Chocolate Shake and a Hamburger.  My burger was with mayo and no onions and Grandma's was a regular hamburger. Neither one of us ate French fries. 

Grandma Kercher headed to load a paper box with newspapers
Grandma Kercher was awarded a Service Award by the Amarillo Globe-News. 

CREDIT: Amarillo Globe-News
Grandma Kercher lived with another daughter named, Roberta Norine. She was never married. They had a nice home on Polk Street in Amarillo, Texas. I will never forget the yard Grandma Kercher had. There were beautiful Rose Bushes along the sidewalk and the side of the house. The yard was huge. In the back of the house, there was a storm cellar, a fenced-in cage looking area. Us kids would always go in there and play. I am not sure what that area was. I always thought it was for animals or something. There were chicken coops and another little shed further back on the property. 

The house had a long driveway. At the end of it was a garage and above the garage was an apartment. I always thought growing up it would be fun to live in there. I never did though. In fact, I think I only went up there one or two times. It kind of creeped me out. 

Back in the day, my Grandma Kercher was a sight to behold. I could imagine her strutting down the sidewalks of downtown Amarillo while gazing through the windows of the different retail establishments. Many of the photos I have of Grandma Kercher are undated. They are priceless! 







This photograph was taken on the Wedding Day of my mom to Melvin Royce Moore. This is my mom's mother, Letha Inez (Chenault) Gordy Schoonover, and Dorothea Grace (Reasor) Moore Kercher. 


Mom and Dad are in the first photo of this cluster.
 Mom is in a Blue Dress
There are many memories of Grandma Kercher floating around in my mind as I write this post. Many family gatherings for the Holidays and special birthdays. Grandma is sitting in the green here.


Grandma Kercher and my dad (Royce) owned a motel together. It was called "The King Motel". I do not know much about the ins and outs of this property, but I remember being there as a small child. That is where I watched Snow White and The Seven Dwarfs for the first time. I was with another one of my Grandma's daughters, Kathleen. We called her Aunt Kaka. 

I have a picture of dad with his Bible sitting in one of the rooms in that motel. I could not put my hands on it though for this post. 

Growing up on Mountain Drive located in Amarillo, we had one of the heavy-duty dryers from that motel in our garage. Dad had fixed it where we had to drop the 'same' quarter into the machine every time we wanted to dry clothes. The memories of Throwback Thursday today are amazing...thank you, Grandma Kercher, for having a birthday on this day 120 years ago. It amazes me how memories are triggered by certain events in our life. The memories of today's Throwback Thursday were awesome! 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

Facebook: H2hsc2020
Twitter: H2hsc2020
Instagram: Heart to Heart Soul Creations
Pinterest: Heart to Heart Soul Creations (H2hsc2020)
#ThrowbackThursday, #TBT, #memoriesofgrandma, #memories, #ancestry, #myheritage, #blooddoesntmakeyoufamily, #lovedones, #family








No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...