Friday, April 17, 2020

Bats in the Belfry?

17 Apr 2020
Ultimate Blog Challenge

Photo by Nick Hristov
New Year's Day for 10 years was very memorable for me. My husband and I took a day trip to visit Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico year after year. The Caverns were three and a half hours away from where we lived. Taking a day trip was quite easy and we both were young. 

We got married in October of 1980. We decided then that each year after on New Year's Day we would take a day trip. Little did I know it would be Carlsbad Caverns year after year! 

For our wedding present, my in-laws gave us a 1980 Ford Mustang. It was white and it had a sunroof. Being from Amarillo, TX and now living in Plainview, an hour and a half away - I used to travel back and forth to see my parents. When we got the car, we wanted to put stripes down the hood and back in the center so when I traveled the car could be seen better by the 18-wheeler trucks. We had a CB radio in the car and my handle was, "The White Zebra". I took many trips between Plainview and Amarillo. 

I recall the first year we took this little day trip, it was a nice day. We had the sunroof open. High in the sky, I could see geese flying in their V formation. You could even hear them squawking. I thought it was neat. We continued to make our way and I continued to watch the sky...it was awesome! 

Upon our arrival, we took the tour deep into the earth. Going through this cave and walking around that bend, watch your step! We saw the magnificent stalactites and the Rock of Ages are known as the Big Room. There was the Room of Giants and another area called King's Palace. I enjoyed visiting the caverns each year. I recall smelling Bat Guava - oh the pungent aroma it exudes. I never saw any bats and nor did I care to see any. The day came to an end and we began our journey back home. We did this each year on New Year's Day! 

After the 4th or 5th year of taking this day trip, we decided to spend the entire weekend in Carlsbad, NM. We wanted to experience the BATS! oh my, the sounds - the smells...the multitude of bats! I never in my dreams imagined so many bats! Thousands upon thousands made their way from those caves. Watching them from just outside of the cave - flying in a formation that was unlike any I had ever seen. 

Remember me saying I had seen flying in the V formation earlier? The bats were doing their own formation as well.... all in a row - not 10, 50 or 100 - -but did I say, 1000's!!! They flew and they flew for as far as my eyes could see. It was an amazing experience. I was glad we decided to spend a weekend in Carlsbad Caverns just to watch this magnificent, orchestrated appearance by the BATS!

I recall my dad always saying to us kids, 'do you have bats in the belfry"? I never knew what that meant and always felt like it was a derogatory question. I still don't get what the connotation of that question is to bats honestly. I know it means that a person may not be all together up top, but what does that have to do with a bat? Someone, please enlighten me...! 

Those day trips were awesome while they lasted...they ended in 1991 after we moved to the DFW area. In 1993, we divorced. 

Fast forward to 2014. My current husband (of 21years I might add) and I were living in Round Rock, Texas. We had moved there in 2013 for a new position I had taken in the Behavioral Health field. I had been told that we needed to go into Austin which was very close to where we lived to experience the bats. Nahhh, that's okay - I've already experienced the bats. I don't need to smell, see or hear them again. The memories of Carlsbad Caverns, NM has stayed with me ever since the 1980s. 

One evening we had taken an ice cream run. My daughter was up from DFW and we were spending time together. On our way home, we decided to take a different route from our normal routine. There were so many people standing on the corner. Cars parked over there, cars parked over here and 100's of people gathered around. It was about 715 - 7:30 at night. Quite early still. My first thought was there was a protest going on - we did live near Austin and I'm sure someone was upset about something or they wanted to make a statement of this or that.  But why on a random overpass by the main highway!? We didn't know. 

My husband decided to pull over and ask what was going on? The reaction, "BATS"! We are gathered here to see the bats!!!!  About that time, the bats had made their way out from under that bridge all in the same orchestrated formation as the ones in Carlsbad Caverns, NM. I thought we were going to get attacked by the BATS! We pulled the car into the parking lot and sat there. Enjoying our ice cream, we continued to watch the 1000's of bats ascend from under that bridge. Flying high in the sky in a row for as far as the eye could see. 

Small children and adults alike were mesmerized by them. It was interesting to see everyone's reaction. Even knowing what the outcome was going to be - there is something about these bats that draws people to watch them. To date, I still don't like bats and I don't have bats in my belfry, but I must admit, I did enjoy watching the bats from the car! We weren't in Austin, but we were in Round Rock. There ARE bats!!! 

If you have never experienced such a sight - I would encourage you to research bats in your area. Take the family down and enjoy watching them perform. It is orchestrated beautifully and will make for some wonderful conversations. 

Bats anyone? 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020


#BlogBoost, #bats, #CarlsbadCavernsNM, #AustinTX, #RoundRockTX, #storytelling, #life, #memories, #nickhristov




6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing. I love the fact that is is about bats - an animal we don't necessarily respect - versus puppies, or cheetahs, or giraffes. And it's bringing up memories of my own. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't expecting so much batty-ness today! :-) They still scare me so I still won't write about them. :-)

    Did enjoy your writing a lot, though, and enjoyed hearing about Carlsbad Caverns, a place I would still like to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a cool story! We love our bats in Austin TX!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great blog! Sounds like you had a lot of. Atty memories. There are caverns in upstate Nay I used to always visit. I remember seeing bats at Howe Caverns too although I'm not a bat fan especially after one got in our house and was dive bombing everyone. 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  5. I imagine there are bats in all parts of this wonderful world. I have seen the fox bats in Australia and in the summer we see bats in Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure there are...I've always wanted to visit Austrailia, but these days - probably won't make it in my lifetime!

      Delete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...