Friday, April 10, 2020

National Siblings Day

April 10, 2020
Ultimate Blog Challenge

Here we almost to the middle of the April Challenge for UBC...are you having fun yet? I am...

I chose genealogy as my theme for this month's challenge and I have enjoyed coming up with the content each day to share. 

I read recently that April 10th was National Siblings Day - so, that's my topic today. I didn't realize that Siblings Day was a National Holiday. Guess I do now...

Siblings Day is a holiday recognized annually in some parts of the United States on April 10 and as Brothers and Sisters Day on May 31st in Europe, honoring the relationships of siblings. Wikipedia

Siblings Day goes along with my theme of genealogy, right? After all, they ARE family. 

I considered writing about my dad's family or other siblings in the family, but I don't know their stories as well as I know mine. 

I'm the oldest of three children. My brother and sister are blood siblings. They are five years apart from each other. I'm the odd duck out...their dad adopted me when he married my mom. I was two years old. This was our family at the end of 1969. Mom, Dad, my baby sister, my brother and, I. 

circa 1969

my brother and I, abt. 1966
My sister's 1st bd, May 1970.
 I'm in the yellow shirt and I think our brother is looking on.
Growing up as in most families I'm sure - my siblings and I didn't always see eye to eye. We still don't! But we love each other. I'm two years older than my brother and seven years older than my sister.

I envy families that have a strong family bond, especially between siblings. We didn't have that growing up. 

I don't recall many memories of my childhood for this reason or that. I do recall a few family vacations. In fact, I was just telling someone about one that we took to Dallas, Texas and my Aunt took us to an old church that was segregated. The women sat on one side the men sat on the other. I have tried to remember where that church is now that I'm doing genealogy, but I can't recall the name of it to save my life. 

That same vacation, we went to Six Flags over Texas. That was my first time to experience an amusement park of this magnitude. The only thing I recall was riding the Mini Run Away Mine Train with mom. She was petrified and that's an understatement!!! 

My siblings and I did our own things. There was nothing similar in any of us...and of course, there wouldn't be between me and them. The only thing in common we shared was our mother. 

my brother and sister
My brother played drums. He was very good at them. He also drew. He was a very talented artist. I wished he would have pursued it, but he didn't. He is an automotive mechanic today. 
A recent picture


My sister played basketball. She excelled in the sport. She is married now with three children and several grandchildren. She used to be a Manager at Popeye's Chicken in Amarillo. Both her and my brother still live in Amarillo.

School picture

I was the violinist in the family. Life back then came with a lot of twists and turns. I think today, that's why I 'always' want to throw the twists and turns into my crafting...I never want to do the normal thing. I was the one who left home at 17 years of age. I got married in my Junior year of High School. There were a lot of reasons behind the why's of that happening...that choice caused me to miss out on a full paid music scholarship. But it's what was needed at the time. I graduated from high school in 1981.


1979
When I was 21 years old, I started a family. When my son was 4 years old, our family relocated to the Dallas/Ft Worth area so my husband could pursue a career in IT. I've been here ever since...

My siblings and I have grown apart over the years. We talk here and there. You know, special occasions like birthdays, holidays and such. It's funny how life takes people down different paths. 

Life has changed for each of us for the last few years. Dad passed away in 2009 and mom in February this year. She was the glue holding the three of us together...and now that she is gone, another chapter in life will begin for each one of us. 

I've not lived near my siblings since I was 17 years old. I think there is a word for that called, 'detachment'. Yes, I've detached myself from family for many different reasons over the years. None that I regret. I'm living life and they are living their lives. When it's needed, we come together and are cordial to one another. Until that day comes again...I wish for both of my siblings the best life can offer. After all, we didn't choose our family - they chose us! 

Happy Siblings Day Paul and Renee...I love you! 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020


#Blogboost, #nationalsiblingsday, #family, #genealogy, #memories, #life, #love, #familyties, #ultimateblogchallenge





4 comments:

  1. I forgot it was National Siblings Day! I have 2 sister, one 3 years old and one 10 years younger. I'm stuck in the middle! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed learning more about you and your family. I can relate quite well. I have 12 younger siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Kathy...

    Thanks for stopping by and commenting. My husband's father had 12 siblings...my adopted dad had many - I think like 8 - 10, I dont recall. LOL

    I have several lines in genealogy that have large families.

    Have a GREAT weekend!!
    H2hsc2020

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful family and one day I need to get a picture of my sister, brother and I together before something happens to one of us.

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...