Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Walking With My Ancestors

Day 7 in the Ultimate Blog Challenge
April 7, 2020

I had the opportunity of attending the 61st annual Family Reunion of my 2nd great grandparents over Labor Day weekend in 2019.
An old Hillman Family Reunion Flyer
My 2nd Great Grandparents are Riley Hammet Hillman, 1831-1916, and Lucinda Perkins, 1842-1918. Currently, she is a dead-end or brick wall for me on my family tree.


I traveled to Slagle, Louisiana for this event. I had never visited here before. As I made my way from the Dallas, Texas area - I passed several Forts along the way. Once I'm feeling better and the pandemic has come to an end, I'll be making more trips out that way to visit those historic sites. I didn't have the time to do so during this trip.

A few days before I was to leave, I decided since this was my first time to attend the family reunion, I wanted to take something that showed my relationship to my 2x Great Grandparents. I made a scrapbook. (this is just a start - I haven't gone back and finished it out yet). WIP (work in progress)

Some of the items I incorporated into the album, were things my mother had received in days past and some of her personal research. She and my dad attended the Hillman Family Reunion back in the '90s. (I saw a picture of her in some of the photo albums that were brought to the reunion).


I showed how my branch connected to Riley and Lucinda by way of the Gordy lines. Now that the reunion is over, I'm going to rework the scrapbook album and incorporate more things I have found as well as take it further back beyond Riley H. Hillman. That is on my to-do list for another day...

While I was in the area, I had the opportunity of visiting the cemetery where Riley and Lucinda are buried.



Riley Hammet Hillman
I've had this photo in my things for awhile
I enjoyed my visit to the Vernon Parish, Louisiana area.


I had the opportunity of meeting many wonderful people on this trip. Most of the ones I met, I met by way of DNA testing. It amazes me every time I meet a new cousin by way of a DNA match.

At this time, it's unclear if the Family Reunion will happen this year because of life these days. If not, I will stay connected with family by way of social media.

I enjoy learning about family by walking with my ancestors.

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

Facebook - H2hsc2020
Twitter - #H2hsc2020
Instagram - Heart to Heart Soul Creations






5 comments:

  1. How exciting, a 61st reunion! When my grandparents were alive, we had a family reunion (on my mother's side) every year. As she and her siblings passed away we went for years without any. Then my cousin started a cousins reunion and it's great to see the next generation coming aboard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha,

      thanks for reading and commenting. I've tried tirelessly to get my 1st cousins together in current day for one on my mom's side and it's like pulling teeth.

      I was excited to hear the Hillman's still celebrate after all these years!

      Hopefully once everything settles down in the world, they will be more interested...it would be fun!

      H2hsc2020

      Delete
  2. That is amazing! We had a family reunion about 10 years ago and was a little different - we all went to Disney World. Thanks for sharing all the great pictures and artifacts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's fun! I've tried tirelessly to get my 1st cousins together in current day for one on my mom's side and it's like pulling teeth.

    I was excited to hear the Hillman's still celebrate after all these years!

    Thanks for reading and stopping by.

    H2hsc2020

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is so wonderful!!! my 1st cousins recently had a zoom meeting and we spent 45 minutes talking over one another but it was totally worth it. someday we will do this

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...