Thursday, April 16, 2020

Napkin Crafting

16 Apr 2020
A to Z Challenge

N = Napkins


Mixed Media Canvas using a Napkin
Created by H2HSC2020
Today's letter is N - this is an easy one for me as I love crafting with napkins! Anytime I'm in retail stores I look through the napkin section. There are so many pretty ones out there. I think my most favorite store to buy napkins is by far Tuesday Morning

Did you know that Tuesday Morning has a clearance section and almost always there will be crafting supplies and yes, napkins of course! They are closed right now because of COVID-19, but hopefully, that will change soon, and stores will open back up. 

I have many different styles of napkins from many different stores as you can see in this photo. 


I make handmade cards, tags and altered canvas' with them. I even use them in my Glue Books and on scrapbook layouts! 

Today, I'm going to show you how I craft with napkins. I'm going to make an altered canvas from scratch. (I normally would videotape this, but since I too am dealing with COVID-19, my voice is very weak) so I'll just share pictures from start to finish. 

Why don't you grab a few supplies and craft along with me! 

ITEMS NEEDED:
any napkin of your choice (I'm going to use 2 for this project)
scotch tape or a straight pin or needle (to remove the Ply from the napkins/these are the layers) 
Blank Canvas (any size will do. I'm going to use 8 1/2 x 11)
Mod Podge (the adhesive for decoupaging)
Variety of paints or distress inks
water (to mix with the paint to thin it out)
paintbrush
paper plate or old small bowl (this is where I mix the water with the paints)
paper towel or hand wipes (to clean up the messes - I ALWAYS have wipes in my crafting supplies)
wax paper or butcher block paper, newspapers, or old store ads (to work on to keep table/desk clean)
supplies I'm using
STEPS: 

1. place a small amount of paint on your plate with a spritz of water
2. begin painting the canvas until you get the look you want to achieve


Remember the wipe? This can be used for another project!! 

I'm going to leave the canvas like this
3. let the canvas dry completely (I'm going to dry with a heat gun to speed things up a bit) 

IF you do use a heat gun to dry your project, be sure you are moving it around and "not" staying in one place as it WILL burn. (The canvas doesn't take long to air dry - so don't feel you have to buy a heat gun!) 

4. take a small piece of tape from the tape dispenser and put on the "back" corner of your napkin, gently lift the PLY to separate them from the TOP layer. Be careful not to tear the main layer you are wanting to use. 




Most napkins will have at least 2 PLYs. These two napkins had 3 PLYs. I have also used the different ply’s I've removed it for other projects. In this case, I just threw them away! 

5. determine where you want to place the napkin on your canvas. 

6. with a paintbrush, apply a very thin layer of Mod Podge onto your canvas where you want to place your napkin or napkins. Do not put Mod Podge on the top of the napkin as it will tear. If you find you need more Mod Podge, apply it underneath where necessary. 

7. Continue layering your napkins until you are satisfied with your project. 

8. Allow drying to completely take place before touching. At this point, if you need to touch up the painted canvas to blend the napkin into the background, do so. 



9. Now, set the canvas aside so it can continue to set. Wash up your paintbrushes, clean up your mess, and put the paints away. 

10. Remember the piece of wax paper I had you put over your desk or table in the very beginning? This is what I do with them when all is said and done...I put tidbits on it to create a collage of some kind. Then this will be used for another project on another day! (I have stuff from today's project that I walked you through the steps on and the two napkin pieces leftover from my grandson's 1st Easter canvas I made him last week). It's all about creativity...I will turn this into a page in a journal or even make a glassine bag out of it. (I've blogged on both of those items in the past.  



11. The first picture you see above is the completed art "mixed media" NAPKIN project I walked you through today! 

Happy Crafting! 


Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020







#AtoZChallenge, #mixedmedia, #napkins, #art, #crafting, #inspiration






5 comments:

  1. Great craft, I never tried it, but sounds a lot of fun. I may try one day ;)
    N is for Nature

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never thought to use napkins in my paper crafting. Thanks for the ideas. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's very pretty! It never would have occurred to me to use a napkin for crafting. So sorry to hear you're dealing with Covid-19. I hope you feel better soon! Lori at https://lorilmaclaughlin.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Lori,

      thanks for reading and commenting. Napkin crafting is so fun...just be very careful not to tear it - but it's an easy fix if you do...just layer another piece on top! :-)

      give it a try...I'm getting stronger each day!

      Nancy

      Delete
  4. Oh, my goodness! I just commented on your last post about Tuesday Morning having great napkins, and then I read this! Great minds think alike! I really want to try this!

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...