Monday, April 20, 2020

Q is for Quilling

19 Apr 2020
A to Z Challenge
Q is for Quilling


Quilled Card I made two years ago
Today's letter is Q. That's a tough one when it comes to crafting. Don't fret though, I thought of something! LOL

I heard about "quilling" about two years ago when I was an Admin/Owner of a crafting/swapping FB group. One of the members wanted a swap for quilling. I had no idea what it was, so I had to do my research. Pinterest here I come!!! 

Did you know they have special tools for quilling? Yes, they do! I didn't buy any of those fancy tools as I had plenty of paintbrushes and pencils in various sizes. There are some amazing Quillers out there if you ever want to browse Pinterest. Just search Quilling. 

Mother's Day was rapidly approaching when I heard about quilling so I thought it would be kind of neat to make my mom something from my heart. After watching several YouTube videos and perusing Pinterest, I told myself it was going to be an easy project. 

I grabbed my trimmer, some paper (I used plenty of paper scraps), and away I went. I cut the paper to 1/4", 1/2" and even 1" strips. I had no idea what I was going to make but I was trimming away. I cut these strips for about an hour and a half...LOL - that was ALOT of paper strips! I had paper all over the living room as that was where I was planted after my Achilles Tendon/foot surgery. I was non-weight bearing for almost a year after that ordeal. I'm still having issues with my foot...I had some of my craft things set up in the living room so I could get to them easily with the knee scooter. 

Paper strips of all sizes. Long ones and short ones. Skinny ones and wide ones. This color and that color...they looked kind of neat as I had them all sorted by size and color. Now that I have the strips cut, it's time to start curling them. I grabbed a paintbrush, a strip of paper and I started wrapping it around the paintbrush. I did this for the rest of the day. 

I swirled and I wrapped. My fingers began to hurt. I pressed on...I needed to get these done so I could start on my craft. I still did not know what I was going to make. My mind was thinking the entire time about all the beautiful quilled images I had seen on Pinterest and YouTube. I continued to wrap the papers. 

Thinking about my mom and what I wanted to make, I remembered one of her favorite songs was a Hymn. I'm sure many folks are familiar with it, "The Old Rugged Cross'. I thought how on earth am I going to incorporate that song into what I want to make? I pondered and thought. I grabbed a piece of paper, my pencil, and I started sketching out a rough draft of what I saw in my head. 

A few days earlier, I had my husband prepare a large foam poster board for me. I was going to use that as my backdrop. I think it was a 16 x 20 size. My mom was in a Nursing Home and I wanted it to be large enough that she could see if from her recliner. 

I painted the backdrop and distressed other papers before I glued them down. I used scrap pieces for this as well. I even added a few solid-colored napkins to the background. Once it was dried, I started making the outline for the cross. 

After I had the outline started, I began placing the quilled strips inside to fill it in. At this point, I wasn't gluing anything down just yet - just in case I needed to move things around. (you know, being my first-time quilling and all). My creation was starting to take shape. I thought from the song, I would focus on the cross. The more I placed different pieces, it became apparent to me that this cross was going to be quite large. 

I finished the cross, then added the sheet music and the words. I placed some of the marbles around the board to give bring out some of the colors I used in the cross. 


I was pleased with my creation and my mom loved it. This piece was truly from my heart and soul to my mom's heart and soul. That's why my blog name is Heart to Heart Soul Creations



Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020









#AtoZChallenge, #challenge, #crafting, #papercrafting, #quilling, #inspiration, #handmadecards

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful. I would like to make this for my sister who collects crosses. For my home Charlie could.make me a Angel in his Art Class in memory of his sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I was always fascinated by quilling, but I know it's not for me ;)
    Q is for Quilting Longarm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful card! I have the tools to do this and it makes it easy. It makes lovely dimensions on cards1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angie,

    I had looked into them when I was going to do the card - then I weighted the 'how' often will I truly use them and talked myself out of it. LOL

    I'd love to see some of your quilling if you have any photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Quilling project came out beautiful. I'm sure your Mom was happy to get something so heartfelt. I've tried a few small projects but nothing as elaborate as the one you did. I blogged about Quilling in one of my previous A to Z challenges from a few years ago. Q is for Mainely Quilling

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! When I was in junior high, my best friend's mom learned about quilling and bought some quilling kits. I made so many things! I don't think I kept any of them, but it was a fun and HARD! A couple of years ago, I bought some quilling papers and a new tool. So far, all I've done with it is made a valentine for my husband two yeas ago. I'll have to take a picture of it and send it to you!

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...