Thursday, April 2, 2020

B is for Bags


In March, I decided to take part in the A to Z Challenge. I thought this would give me many more opportunities for writing and sharing about things I am passionate about. 

The notion is, starting on April 1, I am to choose a topic themed with the Letter A. On April 2nd, a topic theme with the letter and so forth and so on until I end on April 30th with the letter Z.   What's even more fun about this the challenge, it doesn't even have to be a word--it can be a proper noun, the letter used as a symbol, or the letter itself incorporating the Letter for the Day! 

The theme I have chosen for the A -to- Z Challenge is CRAFTING.


As many of you know, crafting is one of my favorite pastimes. I have crafted as far back as I can remember starting out with tearing or cutting letters, phrases, titles, and pictures out of newspapers or magazines. As I got older in my teen years, I began using those torn out letters, phrases, and pictures in scrapbook layouts. It wasn't until the mid to late 1990s that I became very serious about scrapbooking family photos. 

Through the years since 1990, I have created many scrapbooks for our family photos. I then called myself a paper crafter. Scrapbooking is all I knew. So, I scrapped!! 

Fast forward to 2017, I found several crafting groups on FaceBook. YouTube videos, what's that? I had no idea they even existed in the crafting world. Talk about my crafting world opening...

All this time up to this point, my mind had been set on scrapbooking and that's all I knew. Even though I love attending Art and Craft shows, Art Fairs, etc. I recall when I was a teenager, my dad was always telling me, "Nan - you should take this or that and do something artistic with it". I would never heed his advice. I just scrapbooked. I suppose back then, my dad was trying to get me into Altered Art and Mixed Media before I even knew what those words were or how they even were a part of the crafting world. I feel kind of odd now thinking about that memory - guess he always knew I had a knack for creating something out of one thing or another by way of altering it. Thanks, Dad! 


Today in 2020 - my crafting style has changed drastically since those scrapbooking days of mine. I use techniques that I never even dreamed I'd use. I have to give a shout out to the Facebook groups I was in or take part in today because, without them, I probably would have never opened up my mind to new paper crafting, altered art, mixed media junk journals, or anything else I craft now. I'd been stuck on scrapbooking...in fact, I've even been the Admin of several crafting/swapping groups. I've since stepped away from most of them though because of health issues. But crafting will always be a part of my daily routines. 

Today's letter is B. I decided on "bags" with this letter. There are so many bags in our lives it's not even funny. When we shop for groceries, we get bags. When we have a party celebrating a special occasion, we receive bags. There are brown paper bags, and there are glassine bags. Bags can literally be made from anything and everything. Bags, Bags, Bags...
A Bag I created a few years back

I have altered many bags in my days of crafting and I've also made glassine bags. Do you even know what a glassine bag is? 

Here is the definition of Glassine: Glassine is smooth and glossy paper that's made air, water, and grease resistant through a process called supercalendering. After the paper is pressed and dried, it's run through the steel and fiber-covered cylinders that flatten the paper fibers so they're all facing the same direction. 

Through crafting, I've seen many different glassine bags made by other crafters. They've used parchment paper, butcher block paper, and wax paper to create these. I too have used all three of these papers to make bags. 

I LOVE them...these bags are so easy to make, and I can make them any size I want or need. For the most part, I use wax paper for mine. I have left them plain to use in other projects and I have covered them with paper or even napkins. I love making glassine bags and then covering them with napkins. 
Glassine bags I made that are covered with napkins

As you see, these bags are so cute! They don't need any other embellishments but know - you can decorate them out any way you want. You could use bling, flowers, charms, lace, ribbons, the sky is the limit! They can be used for any occasion. They make cute little gifts, too. I always have glassine bags on hand - plain and decorated. 


butcher block paper
For the purpose of this post, I'm going to show you step by step how I make my bags. I can't put my hands on any wax paper or parchment paper, so for today, I'll be using butcher block brown paper. (not sure how it will turn out). 


First, I decide what size I want to make. Using butcher block paper, wax or parchment paper, I then tear out double the amount of paper needed for the actual bag. Remember, it must be folded to create the pocket.  

Folded paper in half
Secondly, I folded the paper in half. At this point, I can decide how big the pocket itself will be.

Thirdly, using either scissors or a paper trimmer (I use a Fiskars Paper Trimmer), I measure the pocket area out and then leave approximately 1/4 to 1/2 inch overhang on each side. This depends on what I'm going to use the bag for. If I'm putting several things in the bag, I make the seams larger to ensure the strength of the bag will withstand the contents being placed in them. Sometimes, I will even add gussets to the sides as well as the bottom (so the bag can expand). 
I folded the edges on each side at 1/4" to make the side seam
Fourth, I trimmed off the top part of the paper to make it look neater. I decided to use a rounded look. Here, you could use decorative scissors or even punches of some sort to create a more polished and exciting look. (I used scissors). 
 





I trimmed off the top part of the paper and rounded the bottom layer with scissors 

Fifth, I need to secure the sides now. Using wet glue/adhesive (such as Aleene's or Art Glitter) or double-sided tape (Scor, Tombow, etc.) - secure the sides. In this bag, I've decided to use double-sided tape. I decided to use gussets on my sides. 

I'm securing sides with double-sided tape
I created a gusset for my sides
As you see, I now have a B - The bag can be used in many of my crafting projects. 
The finished BAG
The bag doesn't have to stop here. It can be decorated by painting it, decoupaging napkins on it (which I'll probably do). Rubber or acrylic stamps can be used on it. They can be doodled on. These bags can be decorated with many other embellishments - such as washi tape, buttons, bling, ribbons, lace, etc. The sky is the limit on these bags! 

I'll go ahead and finish the bag out to show you how the result will look. Since we are about to celebrate Easter, I'll go with that decor. I've chosen two different napkins that coordinate well together. 


Sixth, I'll grab some Mod Podge and a paintbrush. Anytime I'm working with Mod Podge or inks, I always have wax paper laid down. This helps keep residual glue and inks off my desk and measuring mat. Plus, it gives me more things to craft with. (example of what I'm talking about - this will more than likely end up as a 'bag' too in its future). 
my catch-all "wax paper" on my desk for tidbits remaining
Once I Mod Podge the napkin in place, I let it dry completely before doing anything else. 

This is what the bag looks like now that it's dried. I'm not very happy with it though because the butcher block paper seems to take over the softness of the colors in the napkin. I'll make another one in a few days using wax paper and update this post! (there's always a learning curve with crafting). 

the front of the bag
the back


In closing, I'll finish out the bag later with lace, maybe some small flowers, and some bling. 

B is for BAGS. 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020









#AtoZChallenge, #crafting, #papercrafting, #alteredart, #mixedmedia, #storytelling, #homeschoolmoms, #homeschooling, #themommiesreview, #activity, #fun, #art



       



1 comment:

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...