Thursday, April 2, 2020

To Test or Not To Test - THAT is the Question

April 2, 2020
Ultimate Blog Challenge

Continuing with the theme I’ve chosen for the April 2020 Ultimate Blog Challenge (Genealogy), today I'll be sharing my thoughts on DNA testing and why I feel people should test. Let me say this upfront, these are my personal views and they may or may not line up with others. That's why they are my thoughts. 
 ‘                                                         ‘
DNA testing - what is it?  A genealogical DNA test is a DNA-based test that looks at specific locations of a person's genome, in order to find or verify ancestral genealogical relationships or (with lower reliability) to estimate the ethnic mixture of an individual. Since different testing companies use different ethnic reference groups and different matching algorithms, ethnicity estimates for an individual will vary between tests, sometimes dramatically. (Wikipedia) 


In other words, using a person's DNA results - people from across the globe can learn of relatives that descend from Ancestors such as grandparents, aunts/uncles, great grandparents - all the way back to our great-great-grandparents. There are many entities that offer DNA testing, such as Ancestry23 & MeFamilyTree DNAMy Heritage just to name a few. There are many other testing sites available. 

DNA testing can also reveal potential health issues that may be genetic or hereditary. 

In 2015, I did my DNA testing through Ancestry. The reason being, that's where I had started a basic account a few years prior and my tree was associated with Ancestry. I began building my tree in the '90s with my quest of looking for and learning of my paternal lines. Although, I had done genealogy research long before I put any of it into an actual family tree. I used the old school method with all the different forms available at one's local library as well as ones I found online. Forms like the Family Group Sheet, Pedigree Charts, and, Census Forms.  Having these documents helped when I started building my tree in Ancestry. 

Although I had submitted my DNA to be processed – in the beginning, submitting my DNA to have it analyzed wasn't about seeing my origins or meeting new people who were family – it was more or less to find out who was associated with my grandparents and great grandparents’ so I could learn of the history as well as hoping to find photos of them from people I had a DNA match with.

When I submitted my DNA test, the turnaround time was 4 - 6 weeks for it to be analyzed. Nervously, I waited. I say nervously because I wasn't sure what the test would reveal. Would there be other siblings that I didn't know about? Would my mom ‘not’ be my mom? Would there be grandparents that I wasn't aware of? Would it confirm several theories that I had in the past? I didn't know. I continued to wait patiently. One week passed. Two weeks passed. Three weeks passed…and I waited. Finally, I received an email telling me during the 6th week that my results were in and ready to be reviewed.

When I opened my Ancestry account to view the results -what I saw were a lot of names. I recognized a few 1st cousin DNA matches, but past them, they were a mystery to me. You see, I hadn't built my family tree out enough to recognize most of the matches. They were 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th/6th (distant) cousins. WHO ARE THESE PEOPLE? 

I realized the matches were coming from my grandparent's siblings/children lines and my great grandparent's sibling/children lines, etc. Oh my, now I need to add siblings to each set of grandparents and great-grandparents. Now let me stop here. You may be thinking what’s so hard about adding a set of grandparents? Well, do you realize that in a person’s lifetime the number of grandparents one could potentially have? If my family tree was completely built out for each grandparent, I would have 2048 grandparents and that is only 10 generations. If I had it built out 20 generations, I’d have one million! I can’t even compute that number, can you? I’ll probably never have my family tree built out twenty generations so I'm not going to sweat that number. It's not that I wouldn't want to, but ‘not’ knowing what would be factual and what wouldn’t be would create more stress for me today than I care to deal with right now. (I'd be pulling my hair out probably! LOL)

When I submitted my DNA to have it analyzed, my tree at the time only had about 100 people on it – now I have well over 25,000 people and I know many more people who have much larger trees than I.

Continuing to be overwhelmed, I put the DNA results on the back burner for almost 4 months. In the meantime, I began working the hints on the siblings and children of my grandparents and great-great-grandparents in order to get my tree where I could at least start figuring out who my DNA matches were. After about 4 - 6 months of building my tree out and working the associated hints for each person (I'm still not through doing that), I pulled my DNA results back up. 

Now I could do a search on 'common ancestors' - in other words, great grandparents that other people have in their tree that match my great grandparents. Awesome - I was now able to start making sense of my DNA matches. I could also do a search on specific surnames and that's how I started working through my DNA matches. Because I had recently built out my great grandparents - I was able to recognize many of the surnames from my DNA matches.  I started working through the matches, marking them off one by one and adding them to my tree. When I confirm a match, I will use the icon above for their profile picture unless I have an actual photo of that person. (I love having photos on my tree and I have many of them!)

To date, I have worked most of my DNA matches as much as I can. However, new matches show up daily. It's funny to me now when I think of my new matches - it's still about learning the family history and hoping to see photos of my great grandparents -but I'm MORE excited to make new family connections and build new family relationships by way of DNA. I have to say since 2015 and working through the matches, I've met through social media and face to face many wonderful "new" 1st - 5th cousins and it's been amazing!!! I’ve even had the opportunity of meeting ‘new’ nephews on my paternal lines that I didn’t even know existed and twin half-sisters.

DNA testing opened much more to me than just obtaining my origins and matches. Today, because of my personal journey doing ancestry and my stance on not throwing in the towel - I have been able to help many other people figure out their DNA matches, help them find parents and grandparents that they didn't even know existed. I've opened many opportunities for myself with the experience and knowledge I have when it comes to genealogy. 

I don't claim to be an expert in genealogy, but I do know quite a bit and I'm always ready to lend a hand when it comes to building a family tree and looking for 'that' needle in the haystack. 

What are you waiting for? Have you researched your family roots? Do you know who your ancestors are? Have you DNA tested? If so, how far have you gotten? 

Let me hear from you. 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2h2sc2020








#BlogBoost, #ancestry, #familytree, #familytreeDNA, #myheritage, #23&me, #ancestors, #DNAtesting, #storytelling, #homeschooling, #homeschoolmoms, #research, #family


No comments:

Post a Comment

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...