Monday, April 20, 2020

REFLECTION

20 Apr 2020
The Ultimate Blog Challenge

R E F L E C T I O N 

As I sit here and think about the last year or so my mind goes to many different scenarios I've encountered in life. In fact, I can't just sit here and reflect on only the last year. There have been many life lessons learned. Many failures and many accomplishments.

One of those accomplishments was starting my blog in January. I had been approached several years ago to think about starting a blog on crafting, but I didn't feel like the timing was right so I set it on the back burner. In August of 2019, I was approached again and I begin to put serious thought to it. I had been having conversations with my son in law about the ins and outs of setting something up like a website, the traffic, the how to's, and so on. I begin researching a few things and November I put things in motion. 

I already had a crafting page set up on Facebook that only a few people were following as it was where I posted my crafts that I had made versus showering my main Facebook page with them. I'm sure many folks don't have an interest in what I make or the whys even. I began tweaking this page and brought to life my Heart to Heart Soul Creations page to encompass my vision of Crafting, Blogging, Family Genealogist and Influencer. I added the H2hsc2020 so it would be easy to find. 

As I reflect on previous blogs I've written and the why's behind them, I'm reminded of the many triumphs in life that I've had. Yet, at the same time, I'm glad there were also stumbling blocks to navigate. Like anything else, there are always lessons to learn. That's where we find our strength, our resilience, our inner fight, and our will to survive. It's also where we learn what works and what doesn't. We are people and we are all different. I'm thankful that we aren't the cookie-cutter effect. That would be very boring and mundane, to say the least. 

I am sure my writing skills aren't perfected like many in the blogging world and that's okay. We are all unique. We all have strengths and we all have weaknesses. For me, it's in those weaknesses that I become strong and where I thrive. 

At times I get frustrated with myself...not for messing up or doing the wrong things but setting the bar very high for myself. I recall as a young girl when I was told I 'couldn't' - I'd set out to prove them wrong. It was always about the choices...those life lessons, the failures, the accomplishments, the accolades. They all go hand in hand. The good, the bad, the ugly, the indifferent, it didn't matter. Experiences are where we learn how to turn those stumbling blocks into the stepping stones. If everything came easy, when would we learn? 

I find it funny that simple things are difficult, while the more challenging things come easy for me. It doesn't make sense. I always want to think outside of the box, asking the questions when others go silent on. I didn't want to do just what the job description said, I always wanted to go above and beyond. Be a team player, excel and grow. At times, this is a wonderful thing and at other times - it doesn't hurt to put self on autopilot and hold steady. Both are important and very much needed in order to be successful. There's always a learning curve. The squeezing. The uncomfortable feeling of criticism and failure. It's in those feelings though I find resolve. I press in and continue moving forward regardless of how uncomfortable things are. 

Blogging is no different. I've written from my heart. Shared crafting stories. I've talked about my journey with the ancestors through genealogy and have written about many other things, too. I've read several times that blogging can be a place of venting, inspiration, education, sharing life experiences, making others laugh and so much more. 

Taking part in the Ultimate Blog Challenge, I have had the opportunity of commenting on many other blogs and receiving comments on mine. When I read the comments left from other bloggers, I gain insight. It empowers me to continue on the journey I've set out to accomplish and at the same time, they teach me where I need to grow.

There's still many things I need to learn about blogging and in time, those things will be in place. For now, I'm going to reflect on some of the comments that have been left on my posts. 

Talking about genealogy seems to be a big hit with many people. Especially when I share vintage photos or other memories. It's interesting to me when I've said something that will jar a memory for someone else. Those are valuable lessons for a blogger. They are like the bait and hook...

Many of my crafting posts have received many positive comments. I enjoy it when I share something and someone comments that they would like to try what I've shared. That's what crafting is about - - to inspire another human being. I enjoy seeing other's creativity and if they were to try something I have shared, I'd love to be tagged in that!

Talking about life lessons is a topic that is near and dear to my heart as well. It's through those lessons that I have learned how to be who I am today. I learned a long time ago, I'm the evidence that recovery happens. I'm living it daily! I walk it, talk it, live it, 24/7. However, one must remember not to become proud. I remain humble on a daily basis. When I share my life journey with others I do so from a place of strength, hope, acceptance,  transformation, honesty, rejection, failure, learning, abandonment, my truth, loss, empowerment, inspiration, peace, brokenness, humility, and grace. It takes all of these to BECOME...

Reflection...looking at the person in the mirror staring back at me, am I happy with who I see? YES, I am! 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020








#BlogBoost, #inspiration, #reflection, #lifejourney, #blogging, #life, #storytelling, #resilience, #ultimateblogchallenge

3 comments:

  1. I can so relate to this post. I’m having lots of learning curves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be VERY proud when you look in the mirror. I'm so glad you joined the UBC, I enjoy both your genealogy and crafting posts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I started my blog, I just started with absolutely no real plan other than to document my breast cancer journey. I commented on a post by a BIG blogger and asked her to look at mine if she ever had the time, and she did! She was very encouraging and complimented me on finding my "voice" (my first couple of posts are cringy, but I first started writing it just so I would have a record - I didn't plan to publish it or let anyone know about it). I never did take the time to figure out the little (or big) nuances of blogging, including the actual mechanics of it. Some day....

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...