Friday, April 17, 2020

O is for Organization

17 Apr 2020
A to Z Challenge

O is for Organization

A shelf in my room of beautiful handmade Journals, Folios, and Mixed Media creations
that have been sent to me over the course of a few years
Organization comes in many facets. I take great pride in being a person who is quite organized. Whether it's in genealogy research, life, family , or even in my crafting. I can't stand to be 'out of sorts' if you will. 

When I worked outside of the home, I learned at a very young age how to work within the guidelines of being organized. I took those same principals and applied them to my overall life. When we plan a vacation, my family knows that I am going to research, plan, and layout everything there is to do between our house and our destination and back. I cover every letter in the Alphabet ensuring we have wonderful memories of that trip. Organization. It begins with the research, ends up in a binder, and eventually in a scrapbook of some kind. 

Crafting and genealogy are no different. I plan, I organize, and I repeat. LOL 

When I'm working on genealogy, I have my spiral - my pen/pencil - and my highlighter out. I'm ready to research, make notes and enter my findings into the computer for the family tree I'm working on. I have years of these spirals in the filing cabinet. I thought at one time, I'd keep them in case another family member wanted to peruse them after I'm long gone - but I'm not so sure anymore since many of them in the beginnings have been marked through, scratched off by me when I'd finish working on that particular person or persons. I'm NOT even sure they could decipher my notes anyway!! 

I have since learned that when I'm working with my spirals, NOT to cover my thoughts, notes and research up where it can't be read by others. Who knows...someone might see something that I've missed or even solve a mystery that I couldn't by my notes. I've also started dating the top of the pages and written the lines I'm working on that page to make it easy if I needed to revisit something or if someone else was to look through the spirals. Organization...

In my room is a filing cabinet. I use this for crafting and for genealogy purposes. I house different cardstock, chipboard and other things I use randomly when I craft. Also, in 2 drawers are genealogy spirals and other things pertaining to my research. 


This drawer drives me up a wall! I can't stand to open the drawer to look for something that is almost always at the very bottom of it! Who can relate? It couldn't be so easy to be on top, right!? 

I have been working on organizing this drawer into binders. I'm making my way slowly but surely to ensure that my research is documented to the best I know how for generations to come. This is what I've come up with...

The drawer now is about half empty. I'm feeling better now that I have my binders in place and I'm working towards putting the documents I have where they go for each family. The binders are for different family lines that I'm working on. Eventually, the entire shelf will be full of binders with photos, documents, and other information that I've had or have received through my research for the family lines. My hope is, one day after I'm gone - if my family doesn't want to keep my genealogy research, they will donate it all to a Genealogy Society in our area.

I'm sure my binders and things aren't set up like others who like me do genealogy - but that's okay... it’s mine and it's what works to help me stay organized. 

The organization in my craft room is no different. I can't stand for stuff to be all over the place...in any way, shape or form! For instance, right now...because of the smaller space we live in - I have 'stuff' tucked here and tucked there. It's driving me you guessed it, up a wall!!! 

I have downsized, given away, sold and thrown away just to try and declutter my 'stuff' that used to be housed in 2 large bedrooms all nice and neat and ORGANIZED! Don't get me wrong, I'm organized now - but not how I'd like to be once again. 

Unless I completely do away with many of my crafting supplies, I'm not sure I can get any more organized in my space. The room I'm in is very tiny and even my desk and I don't see eye to eye. I've had to change the desk I use from a nice large workspace to a narrow, skinny one. Daily, I am moving things around trying to gain more space! So far, the desk is winning! LOL

Currently, this is my craft room set up...






Organization by any sense of the word is just that - - being organized. My kitchen is organized, my bathrooms are organized, my laundry area is organized - so why shouldn't the rest of my life be organized?

Have a GREAT day! 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020

#AtoZchallenge, #challenge, #craftroom, #genealogy, #organization, #crafting


4 comments:

  1. I have to have my craft room organized or I forget what I have! It's neat the majority of the time -- if I am in a whirlwind of creating, the desk will be a wreck, but by being organized, it's easy to put everything away when I'm done. Thanks for sharing your craft area!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good. You do better when you are organizing well. That way I am not. Collect too many old papers and reports. Do not know what to do with them for many many days. Suddenly they become useful after years. My post for "O": Otis Elevator - Industrial Engineering Activities and Jobs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a tower of paper like you do! I was also lucky enough to get a great deal on a Workbox and that has helped with organizing immensely. Oh, building a studio in the backyard didn't hurt either :)

    Janet’s Smiles

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of these days, I'm going to have a craft room! We have to shuffle some beds around first, but it's going to happen!

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...