Saturday, April 18, 2020

Favorite Things

18 Apr 2020
Ultimate Blog Challenge

Today for the Ultimate Blog Challenge I would like to write about a few of my Favorite Things
A tag I made a while back
Being a violinist, I love sheet music. I like vintage sheets of music and I like current day sheet music. Classical music is one of my all-time favs. I like old music books (like Hymnals). I have one that was sent to me from the 1800s. 

I like listening to Inspirational music. In fact, any relaxing music is high on my list of favorite music. Christian music is my all-time favorite genre of music. From time to time, I'll listen to Carrie Underwood, the Bee Gees, Seals and Crofts, America, BTO (how many know what that stands for?), I like Boston, the Eagles, Adele, Little Big Town, Chris Stapleton, and others - Did I say I like music? Yea, I like music. I'll have music on any time I'm crafting or doing genealogy. I'd rather have music on than hear the television. 

I like Oldies, Classical, Soundtracks from movies - like Phantom of the Opera, Le Miserable, The Sound of Music, E.T., and Star Wars to name a few. 

I love the outdoors. Nature and the animals one might find there. I enjoy watching the butterflies flutter in the yard and set upon a flower. 

I like camping. Although these days, tent camping is out where I'm concerned. With my health issues, I just can't sleep on an air mattress any longer or climb in and out of a tent. This was the look of our camp from a camping trip we took a few years back with friends and all of our kids! 

Genealogy is definitely on the top of my list. Walking through Cemeteries is high on my list too. Although, I can't get any of my family to go with me. I go alone or with friends. 
I like birdhouses. All kinds. Birds are something else from nature I enjoy. I was excited a few weeks ago when my husband put my birdhouses out with the birdseed. 

I like Lace. The frills, the fancy, the expensive and the cheap, assorted colors- it doesn't matter, I use Lace in my crafting projects. Bits and pieces and large pieces alike. 

some of my Lace
I've mentioned vintage a few times, I like Vintage - -all things!!! From photographs to collectible items. One of my favorite things to do is walk through Antique stores. I like the things I see. Many items remind me of my grandparents. That makes me smile. 

I love wind chimes. The big ones, the small ones. It doesn't matter. When we lived in Round Rock, TX - we took a day drive out west to Hill Country (not far from where we lived). There was a place out there that had hot springs, large rocks and very large wind chimes that hung in the tree. From that day forward I have always wanted one of those for my yard. I will own a very large windchime one day. The tone it makes when it's chiming is unlike any other sound; I've heard from wind chimes. So deep and so rich...the sound is calming. 

For Christmas a couple of years ago, some of our friends gave me a new windchime. They said, "when the wind hits it, they are supposed to sound like a choir singing Amazing Grace". They weren't convinced since they hadn't heard them. I have these wind chimes hanging outside from my crafting room. At times, when there is a subtle breeze, they do sound like a choir singing. The sound is amazing and beautiful...I can't have too many wind chimes. 

I embarrass my family when we go to stores and I see an aisle of wind chimes. I'll be that person who will make them all sing at once! I've done this all my life and I will continue to do so...I enjoy it! I love hearing them. BUT I don't like the clanky ones!!! 

I used to like candles. I never burned them though. I just liked the look of them. No, they weren't the ones in the glass votive cups. The ones I had were different shapes. When I was a teenager, I collected candles like this. I had over 200 different shapes and sizes. I don't collect candles anymore. I will buy the ones in the glass votives, that is if I could! My asthma prevents me from burning candles today. 

Another favorite of mine is drinking hot Chocolate. I enjoy all flavors. I also like drinking tea and hot tea, especially Peach. 

Crafting is another one of my favorite things to do. I enjoy creating beautiful things from nothing. Whether it's Mixed Media, Altered Art, Papercrafting, or Scrapbooking - I enjoy all of it! Well, let me back up...making handmade cards are my nemesis - so I don't enjoy that kind of craft! 

An Orange Tag I made a while back
My favorite colors are soft orange, blues, Dusty Rose and Champagne (gold colors). Honestly, I like all colors, bright ones, neutral ones, it doesn't matter really. My mom used to get upset with me because I wore earth tone colors all the time. To me, they looked better for my type of body build. You know, they hid the imperfections! Trust me, there are many!! 

I always wanted to have one of those 'drapes' done where a fashion person would try different colors and styles to determine what looks best for me. Maybe after the madness in the world settles down, I'll do something like this. I enjoy reading Jeanine Byer's blogs in the Ultimate Blog Challenge because she writes about things like this. 

 I enjoy reading Autobiographies and watching Real Life Documentaries.  

I like eating Cashews. A memory I have is when I was a little girl, my mom and I would go to Sears and Roebucks. How many of you remember that store? Mom would always buy me a 1/4 pound of Cashews. I ate them one at a time so they would last. I could make that 1/4-pound bag last me an entire week!  

Something else I like is trees. Old trees, big trees that reach high in the sky. I can't tell you what it is about them other than I think they are beautiful in their own way. 
scrapbook page I made of a tree in Hawaii
it was from my friend's Honeymoon

A Eucalyptus Tree in Hawaii
another scrapbook page I created

A Crepe Myrtle tree that was in our yard 
I like black and white photos; these go right up top with the vintage look. I think my love for black and white photos came from my Granddad. Remember I wrote about his portfolio of black and white images. Those pictures are embedded in my memory and will be forever.  

My Granddad
 Richard Dudley Schoonover
Have a car and keys? I love road trips. I don't even have to know where I’m going. One time, I loaded up my car, opened the Atlas, and where it landed, I went. That was Seattle, Washington. I drove 5000 miles round trip in 4 days...crazy! Trust me, my family thought I was crazy for doing it! 
I enjoy cranking the music and just driving...

Crossing the Mighty Mississippi by way of this bridge on our way to Alabama, 2012
Some of my least favorite things are cats, (although I like the BIG cats such as lions, tigers, panthers, etc.). Cigarettes, the smoke from them, and ALL vulgar language are more of my least favorite dislikes. I also don't like being around someone who is drunk or has had too much to drink either. 

These are a few of my favorite things and not so favorite things! 
Have a GREAT day! 

Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020
#blogboost, #ultimateblogchallenge, #inspiration, #memories, #family, #goodtimes, #funtimes, #crafting, #genealogy, #windchimes, #nature, #favoritethings, 

10 comments:

  1. So many awesome things! Cashews and windchimes and Star wars! That is a great day right there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A huge list ..but it is clear you are a very clear person..with clarity of thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the outdoors,nature,music,camping,crafting ,writing, gardening ,lace ,books and traveling. Loved reading this

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi Amrita,

    thanks for stopping by and reading as well as leaving a comment. I also love camping, but healthwise - I can't / don't do it much anymore.

    Thank you so much for your kind words.
    nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. It doesn't sound like you will get bored with all those favorite things! Great blog topic, I may have to steal it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Martha...

      ty on the compliment of the Violin tag. I had fun making it!!!

      So many things to enjoy on my favorites list. Hopefully I will get the green light soon so that I can to begin living life again!

      I'm so over being quarantined!!! (I did get out today with hubs for a little bit, but I'm feeling it now). :(

      Nancy

      Delete
  6. So many things to love! I also love working with different ephemera - and music is definitely a favorite. And road trips.... look forward to go on many in the future! Always fun to read your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie...

      thanks for stopping by again. Ephemera is so fun, isn't!!? road trips - oh yea, I hear those words and my bags are packed! I'd much rather be on a road trip than anything else I think! LOL

      Ty for the wonderful compliments!
      I hope you have a wonderful and peaceful week...

      Nancy

      Delete
  7. I love music, too. I'm pretty eclectic, but I love to listen to my Pandora "Hamilton" station that I have carefully curated and 70s and 80s music (yes, I LOVE disco as well - brings back fun memories!).
    I played the violin from 5th grade through 8th grade. Still have it, but the bow needs to be rehaired.
    I use old sheet music in my paper crafts sometimes.
    I LOVE road trips! We have never been able to afford to fly our family on a trip, so if we can't drive there, we don't go! I'm an awesome trip planner! We stop all along the way to see "interesting" sites.
    Paula Deen has a terrific hot chocolate recipe you should try. Super easy - cocoa, sweetened condensed milk, vanilla and hot water I think. Very rich and creamy tasting!
    I love vintage things and love attending estate auctions for vintage finds. One of my favorite finds last year was an enamelware urinal that I use as a vase on my dining room table.
    Montgomery Wards and Sears both had candy counters in the middle of the store where you could get candy and nuts by the pound. I liked getting a little bag of jujyfruits.
    I hate cigarette smoke and I don't drink alcohol, but I don't mind if people I'm with do, as long as they don't get drunk. I get extremely annoyed by drunks.

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...