Tuesday, April 21, 2020

R is for Ribbon

21 Apr 2020
A to Z Challenge


Today's letter is R. To me, that equates to ribbon, ribbon, ribbon. In my crafting supplies, I have all kinds of ribbons. Narrow ones, wide ones, yellow ones, red ones, all sorts of sizes, and colors.

I have them organized in tubs by color.


I even have a tub that has scrap ribbon in it. Those bits and pieces that I use for layering and to tuck here and there on other projects.

The Encyclopedia.com says that ribbons appeared when civilizations began crafting fabric. They are among the oldest decorative and adorning materials.

I continued reading the article from the mentioned website above and learned that ribbons have been around since the 1500s and by the 17th Century, ribbons had stormed the fashion world.

Today, not only can we find ribbons being used by seamstresses, we can find many people using ribbons. For instance, the mother who is putting their daughter's hair up in a ponytail. They may use a big fancy bow on top to adorn the ponytail. My girls never liked anything like this in their hair. In my crafting stash, I have some of these ponytails with ribbons. I use them in my journals.

Ribbons are used in homecoming mums. Like the ones, I made my daughter a few years ago. (they have continued to get larger and larger each year). The ones I saw High School girls wearing were insane. They were ginormous!!!

11th gr. 2012

12th gr. 2013
I might add, the bottom mum I made with one hand as I had just had Carpal Tunnel surgery and my hand was in a cast. That was a difficult task let me tell you...

We can also find ribbons on wedding dresses, in floral arrangements, and in many more items.

I enjoy using ribbons in my crafts to compliment what I am creating. I've used them on cards, in mixed media, on tags, and in journals.

I've even made paper straw wands and used ribbons on them, too. They look like something like this...I will show all angles of the paper straw wand.






Several different sizes of ribbons were used to make the bows. These are fun to make! (Anytime my daughter is in Target, she hits up the $1.00 bins for paper straws. I have an ample supply of them organized by color).


I use ribbons all the time in my creations. Like most everything else pertaining to crafting, I LIKE ribbon!!!
Tag I made in 2018

Tag I made for my mom on Mother's Day 2017

Tag I made for a pocket in a journal_2017

This was made FOR me by a friend in 2018 using ribbons

So you see, ribbons can be used on so many different things. R = RIBBONS!!! 

Have any ribbons?


Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020








#AtoZChallenge, #ribbons, #papercrafting, #art, #creativity, #inspiration, #projects, #crafting, #sewing, #tags, #journals

3 comments:

  1. I love to use ribbons in my scrapbooking and memory keeping projects. I don't have as extensive a stash as you do. I'm jealous! But, I do have a fair amount of ribbon that is organized by color and stored in glass jars in my office. They're so pretty and can be used for so many projects. Weekends In Maine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty ribbons! A great way to store them is with sticks: https://blog.dmc.fr/des-idees-pour-organiser-coin-travail-detournement-objet-rangement-ruban-fil/

    S is for Scherenschnitte

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, I left a big bag of ribbon scraps at my former preschool job when I left there. It will take me forever to accumulate another bag! I will be watching the remnant selections when the fabric stores open again!
    Half of the students at University of Arkansas are from Texas, mostly the Dallas area, so my daughter has talked about those big homecoming mums she has seen in friends' photos!

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...