Sunday, April 5, 2020

Vintage Ephemera

Day 5, 2020
Ultimate Blog Challenge

VINTAGE EPHEMERA

In March 2020, I decided to participate in the Ultimate Blog Challenge.  This was going to be my second time participating since becoming or trying to become a blogger. Being new to the blogging worlds since January, I thought this would give me the opportunity of honing my writing skills, share my passions, and meet other bloggers. 

Since becoming a blogger, (honestly - something I've done for a long time, just didn't realize I was doing it -LOL) I have met some wonderful people and have read many wonderful posts. Many of those come from the UBC group. Each one is written with their own, unique writing styles and stories. I have enjoyed the ones I have read for the most part. I have also started following many bloggers and individuals as a result of the Ultimate Blog Challenge group. Thank you!!! 

Often, I wonder how many people stop and take the time to read the posts of others or mine? Do they follow other bloggers? What is it about the bloggers that catch people's eyes? Is it their writing styles, their content, maybe it's because there is a connection to something that has been written that resonates within the other party? I wonder if our writings are being criticized in their heads or if they criticize anything and everything in general? I also wonder if my friends and family on social media even follow me or read my blogs. I know - - I know...guess that's the self-doubt talking to me right now. Although none of that matters, it does weigh in at times. I remember when I was younger if I was told I wouldn't or couldn't achieve something (trust me, those words came from my own family)- I'd set out to prove them AND everyone else wrong. It was my drive to become who I am today.  I'm thankful I don't have that same mindset today!!! 

Moving on now. Not sure why I got on that rant - but none the less, I enjoy working towards becoming the blogger I'm meant to be. With that said, I'll share my thoughts for Day 5. 

As many of you know, I chose Genealogy as my theme for the UBC April Challenge because I love genealogy in any way, shape or form. It's one of my favorite pastimes. 

Before the challenge started, I penned a few thoughts in my binder, so I'd have an idea what I wanted to write about each day regarding genealogy. (That is unless the daily prompts that are sent out by Paul can play into my theme choice like the Book Review the other day). Perfect example! 



Sticking with the theme, I'm going to write about Vintage Ephemera. I use ephemera nearly every time I craft or work on specific projects. (Another one of my favorite pastimes). It's interesting to me that Vintage ephemera is all over genealogy, too. From the old postcards to the letters of our ancestors. More than likely, you have ephemera tucked away in a box at the top of the closet or even in an old trunk out in the garage. 



postcard my dad sent his mom, 1960

What're ephemera, do you know?

EPHEMERA - something I have a great deal of in my crafting room. In my stuff, one might find a tag from this and tags from that, might see a random plane ticket from my daughter's travels. There may be a few movie theatre ticket stubs, or you could find many postcards that have been collected over the years. There may even be old postage stamps, envelopes, and a few library cards in my stash too. If you were to open that drawer of mine, you will see business cards that I've collected over the years. Old letters and greeting cards could be used as ephemera. In that box on the other side of the room, are color-coordinated paint chip cards that I've picked up as well. In the filing cabinet, one would see playbills of musicals, as well as different receipts for many different purchases, too.  I also vintage books where the pages could also be considered ephemera. Have you figured out what ephemera is yet? 

DEFINITION: 

Ephemera - items of collectible memorabilia, typically written or printed ones, that were originally expected to have only short-term usefulness or popularity 






Where can one find Ephemera? Browsing the local thrift stores, second-hand shops, libraries, and flea markets and maybe even garage sales would be a great place to start. Look through Encyclopedias, Newspapers, Old Books, and old maps for images.  

There are many things in genealogy that could be considered ephemera. Things like old letters, envelopes, stamps, and even a postcard or two. There may even be old school records in there or other artifacts from school days from yesterday.


These 2 photos below are from an Orchestra program I was in during the 4th grade. That was in 1970-1971 (I think). LOL, these are considered ephemera pieces. 


I have things that have been inherited that I can't seem to bring myself to use in my vintage crafting although that was the purpose of it being given to me. Eventually, I'll use these things in Vintage Journals of my grandparents and great grandparents. 

I'll give you an example of a few things I have received - several years ago, I received a large box from a cousin. The contents of this box blew me away...there were Time Magazines from the late 1930s. There were Sunday School lesson books from the 1940s and in these books were handwritten notes that my Aunt had written. There were old pattern packages. There were also a few handwritten letters from my aunt to her mother, my grandmother. I picked up another Time magazine and under it was an envelope filled with old postage stamps that had been cut off envelopes. The postmarks on some of these dated back to the early 1900s. There were even some old photographs (I have no idea who is in them, but I'm sure they are family since the box came from a cousin). All these things are considered ephemera pieces. I often wonder if anything is of value -some of the things are damaged, but still usable. I preserve them as much as I can by placing them in archival sleeves or sheet protectors until I'm ready to use them in my vintage journals. 


Now that I've described what ephemera looks like, how many of you have any of these things lying around in a box tucked away in an attic or the top of the closet, in a trunk out in the garage or storage shed? What about those tags from clothes, or movie ticket stubs?



I remember a while back; I had visited a little shop not far from where I live, I walked down an aisle and a young man was sitting on the floor with vintage photos scattered all about. My heart jumped with joy for several different reasons. One as a paper crafter and the other the family genealogist. I so wanted to snatch those photos up and say - - NO, please don't destroy them (coming from the genealogist side of me) while on the other hand, the paper crafter was saying, 'oh to use those on tags, or in other crafting projects would be amazing).  So, you see, I am constantly having this mental battle where some items are concerned when it comes to ephemera. 


These vintage photos I have could be considered ephemera pieces. 


random family photo

my dad, sister and another man working on the car

an unidentified family member from my dad's side

where my dad's Navy Ship traveled


Cards can be used as ephemera. How many of you have some of these lying around or tucked away in a drawer or box? 




a few cards I've received

Ephemera comes in all forms and fashion. Like this quote for instance. 




In closing, I'll leave a few photos of ephemera pieces I have that one day will find their way into vintage journals or even possibly a scrapbook album. 


















Old City Directories and phone books are great sources for vintage ephemera. 















I feel like I'm on a treasure hunt when I'm searching for ephemera items that can be used in my vintage journals or scrapbook layouts. 

Have a GREAT day! 


Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020








Facebook - H2hsc2020
Twitter - H2hsc2020
Instagram - Heart to Heart Soul Creations


#ephemera, #BlogBoost, #Ultimateblogchallenge #vintagephotos, #ancestry, #memories, #tidbits, #storytelling, #life, #stuff, #homeschoolmoms, #homeschooleducator, #papercrafter, #junkjournals, #scrapbooking, #treasures

12 comments:

  1. I love looking at antique sales and estate sales for vintage ephemera which I then re-use in art or journaling. I always feel slightly sad to find once treasured family photos there, too. :-(

    Love this blog post - and ranting about our friends in the Ultimate Blog Challenge is a good thing.

    With Love,

    Julie JS
    http://creativelifemidwife.com/2020/04/april52020/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Julie!

    I do too!!! hubs and other family don't see the point in looking through all those 'treasured' items and oh yes, I feel the same when it comes to the photos. I just want to snatch them all up just to preserve them.

    thank you for commenting and sharing.

    Nancy
    H2hsc2020

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie I have my share of ephemera from my grandmother and I struggle including it in my art, but I am going to rethink that! Thanks for a great post. Btw you might check out my post today, it focuses on self doubt, a coincidence we were both thinking about it today? https://cindyraefancherart.com/blogs/news/throw-that-self-doubt-out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Cindy...thanks for stopping by and commenting. Most definite - I'd love to read your blog.

      Yes, I agree - you should do something with the ephemera you have of your grandmothers whether it's a journal of some sort to incorporate the items into or even a shadow box.

      Nancy

      Delete
  4. Thank you for coming back to the Ultimate Blog Challenge! And yes, you ARE a blogger already. I am glad you do not have the mindset of wondering if people like what you write, or how often, or the topic, or your style, or when you write, or why you write, or.... well, you get the idea! There are so many crippling thoughts that can upset us if we let them.

    I never knew the word, "ephemera." I have plenty of my own that I call "memorabilia" with programs from school concerts from elementary school 50 years ago. Some people might call it clutter.

    One man's treasure, is another man's junk.

    Oh Well.

    Paul
    Ultimate Blog Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. hi Victoria,

      thanks for stopping by and commenting!!! You are very welcome...

      Delete
  6. Thank you Paul!!! YES, memorabilia equals ephemera. I figure when I'm long gone, all my things UNLESS I have earmarked it here or there (which I have done with my crafting items and genealogy things) will either end up on the curb for trash day or boxed up and put away until someone gets tired of having it around.

    This is why I'm determined to get things into journals or scrapbooks that way, if they do want to discard them - maybe they'll be donated to a library or a school of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Regularly one of my dearest friends sends me a pic of an old high school or so photo. I've wondered how we can so quickly find something so old. I discovered yesterday that he has a chest of random photos that he will sometimes pull out or go into when needed. Wow! I want a chest of photos too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Mariette!

    beautiful name I might add...thank you for reading and commenting. How fun is that for your friend to send you a random photo from time to time. Wouldn't that be amazing to look through his chest. What fun that would be. You should look for something you can refurbish that you can put memories in such as the school photos he sends you. :)

    H2hsc2020/Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW What a collection you have! I never heard of ephemera but I've got some!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Martha,

      thank you...oh yes, I have lots in my crafting stash. (even after destashing and destashing). A crafter can 'never' have too much! LOL

      How fun that you have ephemera...can't wait to see what you might do with it!

      H2h2sc2020/Nancy

      Delete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...