Sunday, April 19, 2020

Grandma Smith's Concoction

19 Apr 2020
Ultimate Blog Challenge


Tomato Juice and Noodles
This last Saturday I asked my husband what we were having for supper. His reply, "Tomato Juice and Noodles". I like this concoction, don't get me wrong - but normally we will eat it with Venison when we have some in the freezer. I wasn't in the mood for this but went along. 

Recently I set up a FB Family group for his family. In that group are Aunts (sisters of his dad) and Cousins and their families. I haven't been engaging the group much since I set it up for their family, but still make postings here and there to get the conversations happening. There are almost 100 people in the group. Most everyone is active in making comments and sharing family stories, as well as family photos. I must say, it's been awesome to see the family photos from yesterday! (I had to mention genealogy somewhere). LOL

I made a post in the group, 'we are having tomato juice and noodles for supper, I never had it until I met Ronnie'. The comments starting coming in...

One of my husband's cousin commented, "I love it! I believe it started out as Grandma Smith's concoction. She canned her own tomato juice from their garden tomatoes. She had a lot of mouths to feed. My husband had never eaten it before either".

From there, the comments just kept coming - - it was interesting reading them and sharing in the memories that each one shared. 

It was time for my husband to start cooking so I thought I'd blog "Grandma Smith's Tomato Juice and Noodle Concoction". (I'm sure other families have eaten this. My family didn't eat anything like this when I was growing up)! 

Grandma Smith was my husband's Grandmother, Bernadine A. Durbin Smith. I didn't have the opportunity of meeting her, but I have learned many wonderful things about her by the memories my husband's family has shared. 

To start out, my husband gathered the items needed. 



He filled the pan about halfway full and salted the water and allowed it to come to a boil. 
Once boiling, he added the noodles and turned the temperature down just a tad.  


He cooked the noodles to an al dente consistency, about 15 - 18 minutes. He then drained the noodles. DO NOT RINSE! 



While the noodles are in the strainer draining, he adds one stick of butter to the hot pan. 


He poured the noodles back into the pan and mixed it thoroughly with the butter on medium heat. 



He continued to gently stir the noodles until the butter was completely melted. 




He then poured the tomato juice and mixes it gently again. 



He allowed the noodles and juice to simmer for another 5 - 7 minutes to ensure the juice gets hot. 



Turn off the noodles and grab a bowl. 


He added a pinch of salt and pepper then enjoyed his bowl of Grandma Smith's Tomato Juice and Noodle concoction while I ate a salad. 

Grandma Smith's Recipe: 

3 cups of Elbow Noodles
1 Stick of butter
5 cups of Tomato Juice
Salt and Pepper


Heart to Heart Soul Creations
H2hsc2020










#BlogBoost, #familymemories, #grandmasrecipe, #recipes, #goodfood, #memories, #tomatojuiceandnoodles, #family

3 comments:

  1. My grandmother use to make this! I forgot all about it until I read your blog! Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of this... But my mom and dad would make Maccroni and Tomatoes. Even as a child it wasn't something I would eat. But being my parents recipe I should make it for Charlie, Lily and Jason to try

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I like tomato soup. And I like noodles....
    There's a restaurant near here called Lambert's that serves gigantic portions of food plus workers walk around with big pans of "pass arounds" and offer them to you as you are waiting for your meal plus while you're eating. They have amazing fried potatoes, fried okra, rolls, and black eyed peas that they bring around, plus they have macaroni and tomatoes. Just read Glenda's comment, above, and I'm like her - I've never wanted to try it because the thought of it is kind of bleh (I don't like tomatoes might be part of the reason).

    ReplyDelete

Remember When

Remember when things were simple, and life just seemed to BE.  As I am sitting here at my crafty desk working on the album for the Boutiqu...